[governance] IGC Statement in response to NTIA's announced intent to relinquish role in IANA functions

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 03:38:25 EDT 2014

My last word in this process and I let you guys wrap up with whatever you
wish. Promised! (It just happens that as I was at the hotel yesterdays and
still am this early before I hit the road, I'm reading your discussions and
try to respond as I can. But I will be starting the actual fieldwork in a
couple of hours and will no longer bother you.)

That sentence is obviously (at least it should be obvious to any attentive
reader that it is) a theoretical construction, one that is based (at least
in part) on hypotheticals in order to say, as Sala pointed out, what
multi-stakeholder(ism) (M/S) is NOT.

Has M/S ever been inter-governmental? Not even a chance! Yet, we also say
"We understand the M/S as distinct from the intergovernmental model" etc. I
do understand the intergovernmental model exists, even if it anything but
M/S. And you're saying On the other hand, beyond referring to and
supporting M/S, the NTIA's announcement explicitly lists a number of I*
organizations for ICANN to work with while it doesn't mention "civil
society" not even once and anything "governmental" is only mentioned to be
excluded. So yes, some may say there is a risk to have a governance model
led or dominated by such technical standards bodies, etc. BTW, when IETF
develops standards (and we understand one has to have some technical
expertise and ideas win based on..., well, technical merit, but) is there
ever a point where there is a debate about societal implications of those
standards? If there ever was, are there other stakeholders involved than
the same people who are conversant in technical standards
development/specification and who actually developed the said standards?
And isn't there a form of governance that comes with the standards thus
developed?

Anyway, that's the context --although, again, we may admit that that case
is just a hypothetical here and doesn't need to be necessarily more than
that, as the sentence is theoretical (and a negative.)

Thanks, and I bow out --this time for sure.

Mawaki
P.S. If you could, please read the version I posted yesterday and see if
there's anything that may be useful to carry over in yours, as I wrote it
trying to address all the questions raised in this cycle, with more context
than anyone else having been the main drafter. I now leave it in your
hands, thanks.