[governance] Now that's reassuring: Statement from James Clapper (Director of USA National Intelligence)

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 19:45:18 EDT 2013

Regardless of the involvement of companies, from the statement below it
seems that is fair to conclude that:

- The US gov thinks that it is "reassuring" to affirm that they just
*intentionally* (well, if some US folks are caught on the net...) spy on
non-US citizens. As a non-US citizen, that is outrageous.
- US gov candidly recognizes that surveillance over these platforms is a
cornerstone of their intelligence (in other words, that they will not stop
it)
- The mantra of "protecting the nation" from real or imaginary threats has
become the justification for any policy option with extraterritorial
effects. No shame, no regrets
- They send a clear warning (a threat?) to those that want to dig deeper
into this story: "The unauthorized disclosure of information about this
important and entirely legal program is reprehensible and risks important
protections for the security of Americans".

Are they really on the top of our list of "friendly governments"? Really?

MarĂ­lia