Reasons for 'Internet Traffic Intelligence and Surveillance" products (was Re: [governance] speaker at the opening ceremony?)

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 19:13:35 EDT 2012

Let me try to answer the confusion quickly while I am multitasking between
packing and documentation:

I'd rather remain implicit. I am sure many of my colleagues from developing
countries can list a long list of issues that their countries are concerned
about and may be sharing during the WCIT meet and that this list has been
discussing in numerous ITR related threads etc. at the end of the day it is
more or less around US centric IRM and the challenges of censorship and
content filtering. Its not just about iran, russia and china, there are
more than a hundred other countries out of which a majority are developing
regions and imposing various forms of censorship.

My confusion stands around the dual FoE internet policy of these countries
that requires some responsibility. Okay, its not only boeing/narus, cisco
or sandvine selling censorship but we have huwae in the league of
traffic intelligence and DPI as well. Alright, it may be business as usual
but this is giving some countries to show and tell the amazing censorship
they have implemented.

Yes there are jurisdiction issues at play  here but then some countries
believe in resorting to censorship, blocking and filtering.

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:13 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian
<suresh at hserus.net>wrote:

> Or is it fouads argument that sandvine gear was bought specifically to
> censor any discussion of the cir process?  I don't quite understand the
> logic here either
>
> --srs (htc one x)

Regards.
Foo