[governance] The ITU/WCIT: Thinking About Internet Regulatory Policy From An LDC Perspective?

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 22:06:39 EDT 2012

Thanks Milton, I have some limited knowledge of that literature. The problem
is, as per the abstract you quoted, in the real world the issue isn't just
with "the effects of privatization, competition, and regulation on
telecommunications performance (my emphasis)" where I have no doubt their
(and your) conclusions/assumptions would be borne out. Rather it is with the
somewhat more complex world of how to achieve non-telecommunications
benefits among those for example who are really very far away from the
closest exchange or cell tower and whether achieving the benefits that you
(and they) are pointing to, are, in the broad scope of requirements for
national policies for development (and in some cases even for survival)
worth the costs in terms of foregone revenues and means for a variety of
policy and other governmental intervention.

Honestly, I don't know the answer but  simply quoting studies of the
impacts/benefits of privatization without a parallel examination of the
broader socio-political and economic costs doesn't I'm afraid, take us very
far.

Best,