AW: [governance] Landmark decision by ITU Council on proposal for public consultation and open access

Brett Solomon brett at accessnow.org
Sat Jul 14 15:53:35 EDT 2012

+1

We see this as a broader rejection of openness more than a commitment to
it, despite the ITU's "landmark" announcement language. For those
interested see our short blog response to ITU decision:
https://www.accessnow.org/policy-activism/press-blog/itu-governing-council-to-post-some-planning-materials-rejects-open-access

I note also Public Knowledge's response:
http://www.publicknowledge.org/public-knowledge-disappointed-itu-documents-remain

Brett

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Sivasubramanian M <isolatedn at gmail.com>wrote:

> While I welcome ITU's decision to partially open up, I wish to pose the
> question that bothers me at the moment :  Why is the ITU becoming so nice
> all of a sudden?
>
> And I share Fahd Batayneh's caution on this development.
>
> Sivasubramanian M.
>  On Jul 14, 2012 10:14 PM, Kleinwächter, Wolfgang <
> wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> wrote:
>
>> During the WGIG time some academics - as Alejandro will remember -
>> started to call for a general becnhmnarking of all - intergovernmental and
>> international - organisations according to criteria like openess,
>> transparency, legitimacy, accountability, membership, acess, diversity,
>> bottom up PDP etc. The analysis was never done. Would be a good subject for
>> Baku or a new "Dynamic Coalition on Transparency and Accountybility of
>> International Internet Organisations".
>>
>> wolfgang

Brett Solomon
Executive Director | Access