[governance] NYT opinion by Vint Cerf: Internet Access is not a HR

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 10:55:55 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Ivar A. M. Hartmann <ivarhartmann at gmail.com
> wrote:

> *"**The only issue I missed in Vinton’s statement is the mention of the
> pharaonic amount of financing invested in ICTs and Internet broadband
> infrastructure in DCs, in particular in Africa, and the huge sums paid by
> the mobile phone users. A large part of this treasury is a misuse of
> precious financial resources which could be otherwise spent on more vital
> needs for the population."*
> I completely disagree with this view for two reasons.
> For one, as many have already pointed out, human rights, both freedom
> rights and social rights, form an indivisible body. Their protection and
> realization isn't leveled: it's impossible for a country to pretend to
> implement the right to life flawlessly before it then moves on to
> implementing the 'second most important right', as if there was a line of
> rights and an order of complete implementation. Freedom of speech and
> access to information is just as important in communities which suffer from
> lack of food and water as it is in developed countries.

In fact, information-deficits have been found to be the very cause of
famine in Africa, specifically a lack of information as to where available
resources can be found.  Thus, failures of communication/speech can be both
the cause and the cure of a deficit in an allegedly "more fundamental"
right like food.  Other examples could be given.

Paul Lehto, J.D.

--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box 1