[governance] India's communications minister - root server misunderstanding (still...)

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Thu Aug 2 07:24:28 EDT 2012

Well, I read this a bit differently (although I would have to read the
entire declaration to be sure). For one, ministers in most democracies
are not occupying their posts because they have doctoral degrees on the
issues of their ministries -- they are basically proeminent politicians
of the governing coalition with some knowledge of the issues (in rare
cases, qualified professionals on the issues), and ministries are
basically run by their high level staff.

Secondly, my impression is that he wished to stress the fact that most
traffic depends in one way of another on backbones which interconnect
via developed countries (particularly the USA) and he is not wrong in
this case in defending alternative ways to interconnect Southern
countries -- the fact he mixed oranges with bananas does not invalidate
this fact. And this is 2012, not 2002/2003...

frt rgds

--c.a.