[governance] Digital Agenda: Commission welcomes improvements in new IANA contract

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Tue Nov 15 08:27:43 EST 2011

On Nov 15, 2011, at 2:07 PM, Roland Perry wrote:

> For example, if there's a new cctld (such as South Sudan) as I understand it this require ICANN's approval for it, recognising the public interest involved when new countries are accepted by UN, ISO etc, to be added to the root.

If we follows ICANN's own example, set in the IDN Fast Track process and now amended with the new gTLD process -- ICANN is merely 'approving' or in a way 'creating' the TLD string and it's usage purpose.
Then, in a completely separate process, IANA is delegating this string to an registry.

Therefore, there is not much to change.

By the way, in your example, 'ss' will be created by the ISO3166 committee (of which ICANN is a member), not by ICANN. Once this string is in the ISO3166 list, IANA can assign the corresponding ccTLD to a registry.
ICANN does not participate in this process. (*)

> But if in future years the operator of .ss wants to update its DNS for purely technical reasons, perhaps that's a matter directly between them and IANA (although there's still an issue of NTIA approval of changes).

Such requests, have always been processed directly by IANA. IANA then consults the DoC for approval and Verisign for implementation.

Therefore, who performs the IANA function is highly irrelevant -- ICANN does not participate in any way.

Daniel

(*) Well, ICANN has made every effort to convince everybody that it is ICANN that actually does these things, but this has never been the case.____________________________________________________________
     governance at lists.cpsr.org