[governance] CSTD WG Day 3 (1)

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 10:18:05 EDT 2011

We started to discuss funding but we have not been able to move forward
because many information has not been available to us. So we decided to
formulate questions that will be forwareded to DESA and CSTD:

 -       Invite DESA and the secretariat next meeting

-       Is it possible to receive funding from the UN (without excluding
the option from the trust fund) without going against the mandate set by
the Tunis Agenda OR Tunis Agenda gives a mandate to the SG (not to the UN)
to convene a forum. So this is not a regular program and can only be funded
extrabudgetary contribuins. Would funding through the regular budget
require a change of mandate.

-       Is it possible to make available important background documents:
trust fund requirements, pledge fund

-       Is it possible to make available for the members of this group the
information about the amount of donations given by donors and

-       If UN funds the IGF would it be under committee five approval?
Would it be vulnerable to 3% across-the-board cut is risk of entire budget
being denied if it goes to committee 5?
Best,
MarĂ­lia

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Izumi AIZU <iza at anr.org> wrote:

> This morning, the climate is getting more cloudy than before.
> Some of the documents produced by Secretariat and members
> on points A and B last night were not well accepted by some other members.
>
> After rounds of exchanges of comments around working procedure
> of the WG, we are now talking about the MAG composition, functions,
> etc. in substantive ways.
>
> The Chair also indicated that the second meeting of this CSTD WG will
> be January 11-13.
>
> There will be additional third WG meeting back to back to IGF Open
> consultation in
> February, likely. Yet that date is not fixed, and  there are comments
> among WG members
> that we better TRY hard to conclude the work at the 2nd meeting,
> provided we better
> use online exchanges in between physical meetings. It was suggested to
> evaluate the
> progress at the beginning of the January meeting to decide if we
> really need the third
> meeting or not.
>
> I have to leave for airport around 1 pm and thus will not be able to
> report the
> afternoon session. Sorry about that.
>
> izumi
>     http://www.igcaucus.org/