[governance] Government licensing internet

Louis Pouzin (well) pouzin at well.com
Mon Jun 6 07:42:12 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Imran Ahmed Shah <ias_pk at yahoo.com> wrote:

> some more coverage in the news:
>
> http://www.infowars.com/microsoft-proposes-government-licensing-internet-access/<http://www*.infowars.com/microsoft-proposes-government-licensing-internet-access/>
>
> "State should have power to block individual computers from connecting to
> world wide web, claims Charne"
>
> It was posted in 2010, but it was discussed over here to and asked me to
> about the policies and guidelines in the framework of Internet Governance.
>
> Thanks
>
> Imran
> ------------------------------

 - - -
At first sight Scott Charney's proposal could be discarded as a joke. Since
joking is not exactly M$ style, why would they use such a thick fig-leaf
(calling on gov supervision) to conceal their real agenda ? Are they
expecting some positive reaction to the prospect of a (worldwide) morality
agency ? Quite unlikely. Are they trying to position M$ as a world leader in
internet protection ? Perhaps. Do they have a concrete plan for exercising a
leading role ? Well, the plan may be flawed but it does exist.

Try googling *scott charney microsoft internet*, you'll get a flurry of
links to recent Charney's speeches starting on various premises but ending
with a recurring proposition: *M$ understands the problem, and they got the
tools*. E.g. last parag of:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/charney/2011/02-15rsa2011.mspx

Good old marketing spin, attract attention, and instill the message.