[governance] THIRD DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 13:55:20 EST 2010

Some comments below

(…)

Despite an intergovernmental mandate from WSIS to address this governance
deficit, much remains to be done.  It is imperative that this deficit
continue to be addressed, where appropriate through new institutional
developments that comply with the WSIS process criteria of being
multilateral, transparent, democratic and inclusive.

If we want to reach compromise,  “institutional developments” is a good
choice, since it leaves room for different interpretations and for the many
proposals put forth on the list.

We make three further points.  First, enhanced cooperation should encompass
all Internet-related public policy issues; second, the existing arrangements
of relevant organisations (including the Internet Governance Forum) do not
fully implement enhanced cooperation, and thirdly whatever new arrangements
may be put in place, civil society will play an integral part in them.

In order to envision what EC should look like, we need to have in mind the
whole IG ecosystem, and the IGF is an important, vibrant part of it.
Therefore, I believe the IGF has to appear in our statement and its role
needs to be considered when drafting future arrangements.

These points will be explained in turn:

1. Although much of the discussion of enhanced cooperation at WSIS turned
around the narrow issue of internationalising the oversight of Internet
naming and numbering functions, the Tunis Agenda expresses this principle
far more broadly.  It also reminds us that the ultimate objective of our
cooperation is to advance a people-centred, inclusive, development-oriented
and non-discriminatory Information Society.

2. The IGF in its present form is a very important part of the enhanced
cooperation process, in that ideally its multi-stakeholder process can help
to shape decisions taken on Internet related public policy issues in other
fora.  However the full realisation of enhanced cooperation will require a
multi-stakeholder process to extend to other Internet governance
organisations that do not already follow this model.

I would rather say that “its multi-stakeholder process can provide input to
shape decisions (…)”. This indicates that there should be coherence in the
whole system.

When we say “related public policy issues in other fora” and “extend to
other Internet governance organizations that do not already follow this
model”  I have the impression that for IGC, EC means the closest
coordination between IGF, one the one side, and ITU, etc, on the other side.
Our main request is that these other organizations follow the example of the
IGF and become multistakeholder. It could be inferred that no new body needs
to be created and any redesign of existing ones would need to take place. I
don´t believe this is what we meant, but maybe a slight change in phrasing
would help? Something like “Extend to other existing or to be created
Internet governance organizations"

There are various options for enhancing multi-stakeholder cooperation within
and amongst all relevant organisations.  These include:

I agree with Parminder that we now have an opportunity to contribute to the
design of the future of the IG regime and we cannot waste it. If we don’t
have a clear proposal, but rather vague statements, others will make the
decisions for us. Maybe we cannot reach consensus for this statement, but we
should continue the discussion to try to reach consensus on how the IG
regime should look like in the future.

The ongoing discussion on the list would also feed our positions in the CSTD
WG.

(...)

Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio