[governance] About the IGF call for workshop proposals

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Mar 17 13:42:32 EDT 2009

Thanks for this very useful clarification, Bertrand.

I want to take issue with some of the analysis behind it, but in general I agree with the intent of the new approach and appreciate your giving us clear advance notice of it.

The problem with past workshops was NOT that proposers had the ability to propose and execute "fully developed" proposals. Many of the best and most productive workshops followed that partern. The problem was that the Secretariat did not feel as if it was in a position to discriminate between fully-developed proposals that were executed well, and those that were thrown together at the last minute with no coherent theme and/or had unbalanced viewpoints or stakeholder mixes.

The saving grace of this "anything goes" policy was that it allowed a few applicants to put together high-quality Workshops that were unfiltered and had a clear vision of what they were trying to do. It also meant that for every one of those, there were one or two sloppy and unbalanced ones. But people could vote with their feet, and they did. Indeed, all of the IGP Workshops for the last three years have been packed, because they had sharply defined themes, balanced collections of panelists and dealt with real, substantive issues not fluff and self-promotion.

The clear and present danger from what you describe as the new approach is that all proposals have to be run through the political wringer of the MAG. This is a good way to make Workshops become bland and meaningless, or, (worse) ensnare their proposers in months of political negotiations with clueless or hostile partners. I have first-hand knowledge of how this happened last time with the IPv6 main session panel. Making the content of workshops into a collective decision of the entire IGF is a sure-fire way to ensure that the Workshops become as boring and useless as most of the main sessions have been. Your new process seems to put the MAG at the center of grouping proposals and selecting themes, and the whole point of the Workshops was that it offered a free space outside of that.

I hope that when you start grouping "theme" proposers together, you do so with open eyes.

That means: recognize, please, that for every pressing and important topic in Internet governance, there is someone or some group who would prefer that we not talk about it at all.

That means: Do not throw together people who want to undermine or prevent discussion of a topic with the people who really want to discuss the issue, and expect them to work out a good program.

That means: do not throw together people who want to talk about related, but quite different things. (e.g., in the IPv6 panel there were people who wanted simply to promote migration to IPv6, and there were people who wanted to talk about the transitional problems caused by the shortage of IPv4 addresses. Those two ideas were fundamentally incompatible as topics, and we wasted lots of time trying to reconcile them.)

In other words, up to now the Workshops, because they are relatively free, have been the saving grace of the IGF. I hope that doesn't get spoiled with the new approach. It could have disastrous consequences for attendance at the next meeting.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org<http://internetgovernance.org/>