[Fwd: [governance] Workshop proposal - Internationalisation of

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Apr 14 09:48:57 EDT 2009

Milton L Mueller wrote:
> There is another, deeper problem with Parminder's formulation. When we
> talk about "participative political governance" we need to explicitly
> recognize that "democratic" governance must always take place within a
> framework of protected rights of individuals. Majorities can be as
> oppressive as unaccountable tyrants, we all know. So while I prefer
> Parminder's reference to "participative political governance by all
> people of the world" to vague references to "multistakeholderism" I
> think that will sound threatening to many people unless we also make
> it clear that such governance is limited and contained by rights and
> freedoms _from_ governance in the appropriate areas.

I very much agree with the substance of your posting. However, when I
mention 'democratic' in the title itself i think it obviously includes
the nunace and evovled meaning of democracy as generaly understood -
which included constitutionalism (that is why we advocate for adopting
Internet rights and principles), human rights, structured participation
etc - it is not about simple tyranny of numbers.

 >take place within a framework of protected rights of individuals.

Human rights is the accepted term, in all its nuances that we have
argued often about and disagreed :) . I am quite happy with adding
'human rights framework' to the present proposed text. Building on the
text I proposed in my last email, it can be something like

"One thing however is clear by now; the Internet is not just a technical
artifact, requiring technical governance with regard to keeping it
running smoothly, but a key socio-political phenomenon requiring
participative political governance by all people of the world, ensured
through multi-stakeholder models, and adopting human rights frameworks."

parminder