[governance] NOMCOM - MAG nominations

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 12:44:33 EDT 2008

It seems to me that there is some form of contradiction between two
statements that Adam makes below...

"Being able to commit the time important, about a
month/year for travel (MAG meetings are 3 days, IGF 4 days, unless
the person's based in Europe, travel to Geneva takes a while.)
Participating remotely in MAG meetings is possible, CS members have
done so."

Based on some notional figures:
	30 days travel @ $200/day = $6000
	travel costs say 4 trips @ $2000/trip = $8000
				Total (not counting work time) = $14,000 +/-

So, who apart from those who are "professionally" involved in the issues
under discussion i.e. have some sort of institutional sponsorship (or have
private trust funds) will be able to devote a month and $14,000 out of
pocket to this effort without: "exploit(ing) membership for their own or
their organization's gain" unless CS is populated by a large number of
privately wealthy saints.

I have no objection to the MAG consisting of all
"professionals"--government, corporate and CS (we'll see who the reps who
are funded from LDC's might be) but I think we should be clear about this
and recognize that "grassroots" folks and here I'm including those from less
than fully endowed CS organizations including from Developed Countries are
more or less automatically being excluded here.

In the Internet Governance area, at least as such is being defined by this
CS group, I don't think it matters very much as not many ICT4D users
(whether in LDCs or in Developed Countries) will have a lot of interest in
the issues under discussion; however, I think we as "representing" CS in
this space should be at least noting the contradiction above and ensuring
that what passes for representivity in the IGF space should not become an
overall precedent for other spaces where other and more user oriented
"Internet Governance" and ICT4D issues are discussed.

MG