[governance] NOMCOM - MAG nominations

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sun Mar 23 11:32:05 EDT 2008

>  > Hi Parminder,
>>
>>  Please take note that it's Easter week, major holiday in many
>>  countries, including Monday as day off. Is it possible to consider an
>>  extended deadline, e.g. Wednesday, rather than Monday? It's important
>>  that this process of nominating MAG members doesn't lead to any
>>  dispute, at least regarding procedural matters.
>>
>>  Meryem
>
>Meryem
>
>I will publish the full schedule of the process by tomorrow but we have
>decided that members can volunteer up to the 31st of May.
>
>Meanwhile we propose to start/ keep up a discussion on criteria that the
>nomcom may use.

Parminder,

Suggest we begin with the recommendations from the MAG that will go
to the secretary general:

"6.  While not perfect, the balance of the current MAG was felt to be
reasonable. However, it was  generally agreed that there was room for
improvement with regard to the gender balance as well as
representation of developing countries."

and,

"10. With regard to the MAG's operating principles and selection
criteria, the group reaffirmed that members served in their
individual capacity. They emphasized that the work of the MAG was
collegial and based on consensus and there was a need for procedural
flexibility. The anonymity and non-attribution of the discussions was
recognized as a crucial principle of the MAG's work. In concrete
terms, this principle, known as the Chatham House Rule, allows
participants to use the information received, but neither to reveal
the identity nor the affiliation of the speakers. Members should
possess relevant knowledge and willingness to reach out and ensure
continuous flow of information to and from interested groups. There
was agreement that active and constructive participation of all
members was required. Members were expected to take part in three
meetings in Geneva, as well as in the annual IGF meeting and
participate in online preparatory work. Ways of financing attendance
of developing country members are being explored. All meetings also
provide tools for remote members' participation."

These are not the caucus' rules, we're not bound by them, but it
would be a good idea to keep them in mind (if we submit a batch of
names saying they are the representatives of the caucus, people we
have power of recall over, etc, this may not sit well with the idea
that members serve in their individual capacity. The MAG's
recommendations came from the consultation process.)

Looks like members from developing countries will be supported
financially. Being able to commit the time important, about a
month/year for travel (MAG meetings are 3 days, IGF 4 days, unless
the person's based in Europe, travel to Geneva takes a while.)
Participating remotely in MAG meetings is possible, CS members have
done so.

I think Milton and Bill suggested MAG members needed few skills. And
that's generally true, members aren't arguing the rights and wrongs
of an issue like a session panelist might, but do need enough
knowledge to be able to persuade others that a range of issues are
important (no accident that Robin's expertise on "openness" has lead
to issues featuring prominently.) Should have a broad knowledge of a
range of Internet policy issues, with deeper expertise in a few (got
to understand the issues CS organizations are saying important, can't
just parrot texts written by others, and know when others are wrong,
etc) Should have a good network of people (regional/global).

Multi-stakeholder: it needs people who can be persuasive, who will
listen to/try to accommodate other points of view. The MAG tries to
be "collegial and based on consensus". Strident advocacy tends not to
work.

Should be willing to do work at the IGF meetings, from setting up
tables to moderating workshops etc.

MAG isn't a high level group, but experience working in
committees/working groups helpful.

I think this comment from the 2006 nomcom criteria still relevant:

"A working statement of the criteria is best expressed by a quote
from one of the members of the NomCom:

To that end, people we appoint should have a stated (and, I would
hope, demonstrated) commitment to consultation and thoughtful
dialogue with the community. We should seek a diversity of views and
talents on the committee, but one constant should be good
communication. This is more than participation on the list; it also
includes listening, mediating, facilitating, trying to build
consensus -- and, most importantly, being able to articulate the
truly held views of others even when you disagree with them."

MAG members are always going to be volunteers, there's only so much
time that a person can devote.  Looking back at WSIS very few of CS
caucus and working group coordinators, WGIG members, came did much
more that MAG members have been doing, i.e. don't make unrealistic
demands. MAG members shouldn't be looking to join the group to
exploit membership for their own or their organization's gain, they
should put CS interests ahead their own or their organization's.

Thanks,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org