[governance] new paper on the Hyderaband [sic] programme

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Wed Jun 11 08:36:02 EDT 2008

Le 11 juin 08 à 13:19, Jeanette Hofmann a écrit :

> Meryem Marzouki wrote:
>> Dear Ken,
>> Thanks for these inputs and explanations. I do understand your
>> point on 'universalization' and the risks this might convey. I do
>> share your concerns about dominant cultural schemes - which are
>> already in place, BTW. However, I'm not really convinced that
>> here, these concerns have been the reason why the word has been
>> abandoned.
>
> In other words, you don't trust Ken's and Adam's reports? I can
> confirm what they said.

I don't see any reason that might lead you to infer this from what
I've said.

>> I'd be interested in hearing about the "various" reasons that led
>> to withdraw "of users". Is there another next billion to be
>> reached? like a billion of dollars?:)
>
> There were concerns about the connotation of the term users. In
> some or many countries "users" are seen as passive consumers not as
> producers of content or developers of software. This is why "users"
> was dropped.

I'm not sure this is a linguistic or cultural problem here: "users"
is a generic term here, applying for citizens, consumers, producers,
content producers, software developers, workers, whatever your "use"
of computers and networks might be at one given time and for one
given activity. If one really wants to make a context analysis in
this specific case, "users" has neither positive nor negative
connotation. Especially when one wants to simply *reach* them. Not to
mention Guru's very relevant message pointing out that an important
concern should be related to the word "next" rathen than "users".

But anyway.. It's amazing how people may have such concerns, and not
any on, say, "Promoting cyber-security and trust" or "Are we losing
the battle against cyber-crime?". Can you report of any discussion
related to this, and/or related to the lack of any reference to rights?

Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org