[governance] new paper on the Hyderaband [sic] programme

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Wed Jun 11 07:19:22 EDT 2008

Meryem Marzouki wrote:
> Dear Ken,
>
> Thanks for these inputs and explanations. I do understand your point on
> 'universalization' and the risks this might convey. I do share your
> concerns about dominant cultural schemes - which are already in place,
> BTW. However, I'm not really convinced that here, these concerns have
> been the reason why the word has been abandoned.

In other words, you don't trust Ken's and Adam's reports? I can confirm
what they said.

> I'd be interested in hearing about the "various" reasons that led to
> withdraw "of users". Is there another next billion to be reached? like a
> billion of dollars?:)

There were concerns about the connotation of the term users. In some or
many countries "users" are seen as passive consumers not as producers of
content or developers of software. This is why "users" was dropped.
jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org