[governance] Dynamic Coalition working methods (was: Coalition on IGF Fund)

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sun Nov 5 07:58:51 EST 2006

(Adapted the subject line)

Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> Not really, my concern is more that the informality of the coalitions
> makes them unaccountable to the IGF at large.
First of all, the IGF at large is accountable to nobody. It is at the
moment an "open house", as Niton Desai said, it can't (yet?) make
decisions, and its composition is more or less random. So why should any
dynamic coalition be accountable to the IGF?

> (a) agreeing on some criteria pursuant to which they can be accredited
> (not sure if this is an appropriate word, what do others think?)
I suggest "recognized", which is more informal.

> for conformity to standards of openness to multi-stakeholder
> participation, transparency and internal operation by consensus;
To my understanding (and as somebody who has a pretty large coalition on
his back now), they are self-constituting entities / processes. We have to
take care to not interfere in their inner workings too much from the
outside, especially in the forming stage when the whole momentum is still
fragile.

One big problem will be the participation of governments. We have the
French Government in our privacy coalition, and are in discussions with
the Italians and the British. A major problem for them seems to be the
explorative character of the coalitions, especially when addressing
"emerging issues". They can only participate if the bylaws or statutes
clearly state that the positions they take are not officially cleared
government positions. We might even have to use Chatham House Rules or
something like that fort parts of the coalition work if we really want to
engage them in an open dialogue. And this is just EU governments. Try to
think of Iran or others who might be willing to participate.

Bottom line: There seems to be a trade-off between openness and broad
participation. If we don't carefully address these issues, we will have
some nice NGO-Business dialogue, but no governments on board.

> (b) allowing the output of an accredited dynamic coalition to be put to
>  the IGF at large to be considered and, potentially, ratified and
> adopted by consensus (through some also yet undefined process).
It will only be "adopted" or "ratified" by a more formal forum, e.g. a
WSIS-follow-up summit in 2010. Forget about anything else in the first
years. And if you push too hard here, we will just fend off governments
willing to work with us.

What we will try in the privacy coalition is certainly to develop some
position paper / FAQ / draft recommendations to be "considered" by the
next IGF. If this works in an inclusive multi-stakeholder process, it will
be more than I hoped for.

> I'm considering where to take things from here, but I'm open to
> suggestions.  I would be happy to draft a list of criteria, develop a
> rough consensus on it here and on the plenary at intgovforum.org mailing
> list,
Is that list populated yet? Especially: Is there a significant number of
government reps? We can come up with anything we like at the moment, but
the biggest problem seems to be the participation of governments. Don't
overwhelm them.

> and then ask Adam or someone to put it in front of the Advisory
> Group.  An alternative is that a Dynamic Coalitions Dynamic Coalition
> could be formed to develop the draft criteria.
Please... Not another meta-structure.

I think if we come up with good *substance* that is supported by a large
number of stakeholders from all groups, especially by enough governments,
we will have an impact and will have made clear that multi-stakeholderism
can produce quality outcomes. Everything else has to evolve, and we have
to leave some room for trial & error. If we formalize it too early, it
won't work.

Best, Ralf
     governance at lists.cpsr.org