[Governance] Seeking roll back of IGF Leadership Panel

sivasubramanian muthusamy 6.internet at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 10:20:28 EST 2021

On Sat, Nov 27, 2021, 18:52 parminder via Governance <
governance at lists.igcaucus.org> wrote:

> Olivier,
>
> From the below I understand that you are greatly bothered about the huge
> number of global digital policy issues that need urgent policy action. I
> fully agree with you. But you dont tell us how, as per your thinking,
> policy action will take place on them. This is especially ironical for
> someone who asks others to provide their precise alternative/ model.
>

>  I understand that your email is basically in support of the IGF
> Leadership Panel. But your 3 para email nowhere tells us what you think the
> LP should and would do, and how that solves the the key policy challenges
> you describe... Isnt that important to tell,  if you support the LP.
>

> The language that comes the nearest in your email is.... "if the IGF
> continues being a talk shop with no actual results or even suggestions
> coming out of it that can be picked up using a well thought out process, in
> a multistakeholder manner..."
>

> So, you think the LP will pick up actual results or suggestions coming out
> the IGF?
>

> Very fine... I had asked Wolfgang on the ISOC list to illustrate this with
> an example or two, how the process actually works. He did not do it, would
> you please .. Moment you begin to actually fill in detail into this
> good-sounding message-conveying thing, youd realise the immense problems
> with it and/ or non plausibility of it .. This being a serious discussions
> on the future of IG ecosystem, lets get done to its real processes and
> implications ...
>

> Sentences like "I am not saying whether an IGF Leadership Panel is a good
> or a bad thing" -- are completely unhelpful..... That is what we are facing
> right now, and we need to decide if it is a good idea or a bad one.

Funny, that hardly anyone is ready to say outright that LP is a good
> idea....

The leadership panel would do a lot of good if constituted of leaders who
are at the risk of being dissuaded by what they might perceive to be
controversial based on perceptions of endless arguments as happening now. I
say outright that the LP is a good idea and it would be highly purposeful
to constitute the panel.