[Governance] 170 orgs send an open letter to UN SG to stop plans for a new High Level Multistakeholder Body

sivasubramanian muthusamy 6.internet at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 14:40:43 EST 2021

Dear Sylvain Baya,

If the origin of this campaign is the link that you have provided, I
have some observations, others in the list may correct me wherever I
am wrong:

"Not only in developing countries but also in the US and EU, calls for
stronger regulation of Big Tech are rising."  -- Correct.
...  "plans have emerged for an ‘empowered’ global digital governance
body that will evidently be dominated by Big Tech."  --  The proposal
is for a High Level body. If you understand "empowered" as the power
to issue top down instructions to the IGF, then there is an enormous
misunderstanding here.  "dominated by Big Tech" -- where does the
proposal say that the High Level body is to be "dominated" by Big Tech
?  And "evidently" ???  How evidently ?

 "this new Body would help Big Tech resist effective regulation,
globally and nationally. "  --  Is there a secret document that you
have accessed that says that the secret design is to secretly help the
Big Tech overrule regulation, globally and nationally ?

"Indeed, we face the unbelievable prospect of ‘a Big Tech led body for
Global Governance of Big Tech’. "  -- a fancy slogan, negatively
imaginary.

Please try and place the proposal for a High Level body, (intended to
be a bridge between the IGF and the Heads of Government), a body that
would accelerate all the intended good work by the IGF Community, a
body that would cause forward and upward progress of the work of the
IGF.  Then ask for signatures.

Thank you.

Sivasubramanian M