[Governance] [apc.members] Ian Peter

Janna Anderson andersj at elon.edu
Mon Dec 27 11:55:00 EST 2021

Ian Peter was one of the earliest Internet historians, getting his start as a lecturer in the late 1990s. Ian posted a link to this 1989 video<https://youtu.be/HP_KrOUwdO0> that features Ian (along with Mike Jensen) at the launch of Pegasus Networks in Australia. (APC published an interview with Ian about it in 2017.<https://www.apc.org/en/news/constellations-internet-history-conversation-ian-peter-founder-pegasus-networks>)

The Imagining the Internet Center at Elon University has several short recordings that feature Ian speaking on panels at the Internet Governance Forum over the years, including this 11-minute 2008 clip from Hyderabad<https://youtu.be/PQhC7D56r9s> in which he talks about “the last billion” people likely to be connected to the Internet in future.

Ian has been an outstanding leader in the evolution of the Internet from the 1980s to today. Those who never had the opportunity to meet him missed the chance to fully appreciate his kindness, dedication and sharp intellect. This wonderfully charming and bright Aussie was a key figure in the Internet’s early development and diffusion in the Asia-Pacific area. He was one of the original founding directors of the Association for Progressive Communications, the outstanding international network of organizations that has been and continues to do work that is crucial to the advancement of the Internet as a tool for the advancement of human rights via human communication.

We will always remember Ian for his passionate pursuit of the best possible future of global communication.

Janna Anderson