[Governance] IGF Leadership panel: My personal stance

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Dec 1 05:33:51 EST 2021

On 28/11/21 6:35 pm, Nnenna Nwakanma via Governance wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I do not have energy for  drawn-out debates. However, let me state my
> personal perspective of the IGF Leadership panel
>
>   * After 15 years of IGF, I, personally would like to see it take on
>     more policy engagement, beyond the "talk, conversation, sharing
>     experience" status in which it is at the moment. Wolfgang and
>     Jovan's points provide enough background
>   * I also do  not think that the IGF Leadership panel will prove to
>     be a silver bullet, but it is worth a try.
>   * The process that led to the Digital Cooperation Roadmap, which
>     gave birth to the IGF suggestion was fully mutlistakeholder.

Nnenna,

Can you please help us with some information on how the process that led
to the Digital Cooperation Roadmap was as you say*" fully
multistakeholder" (*MS) ... Sometimes we may just be understanding
different things with that hold-all term, MS, which is at the centre of
IG debates, so better to be clear .. In my view the process was *fully
UN SG led and determined ,***and not at all what is known as 'fully'
multistakeholder .. .. But happy to hear why you think it was a fully
multistakeholder process.

The DG process did involve some consultative processes, but most
governmental and multi-lateral law making processes do also involve such
processes.

We also know that on the last public consultation on the structure of
the High Level Multi-stakeholder Body, the official summary of the
NOT the favored one in public opinion, meaning, in other words, such a
structure was rejected by the public. Nonetheless, within a few months
the UNSG goes ahead and announces the formation of LP ..

Multistakeholder???

>   * I have participated, in my personal capacity and via the Web
>     Foundation for the past 3 years, right from BEFORE Paris IGF till
>     today.
>   * There is a Civil Society group (let me know if you  or your
>     organisation wishes to engage) that has kept in collaboration with
>     the Office of the UN Tech Envoy since its inception. Many orgs in
>     this list are also there.
>   * Some of us plan to engage in Our Common Agenda
>     <https://www.un.org/en/content/common-agenda-report/>, and most
>     importantly, the Global Digital Compact, that we believe will be
>     in the works mainly in 2022 and 2023.

Yes, I know .. that is my problem... If we do not speak up and resist
now, *t**hese processes and their outcomes ,with even deeper global
consequence and impact, too will be determined by some insider elite
groups and people *.. I dont want that to happen .. But to prevent that,
we must speak up and act now ..

parminder