[Governance] Invitation to sign on : Civil society calls for a virtual IGF 2021 to strengthen inclusivity

Valeria Betancourt valeriab at apc.org
Mon Aug 9 10:41:53 EDT 2021

Dear Farzaneh, Deirdre and Andrey and all,

Thank you for your messages, questions and suggestions.

Let me please clarify that we are not calling upon the cancellation of
the in-person meeting. APC has been committed and engaged with the IGF
since its inception and we have seen and contributed to the efforts
towards inclusivity, particularly of stakeholders from the global South.

There are practical restrictions and inequalities related to transborder
mobility at the moment, including for instance the fact that some
Covid-19 vaccines are not broadly accepted as valid ones to apply for
Schengen visas for people who need them to enter the EU territory. We
are concerned that those type of restrictions will impact the real
possibility of specific stakeholders from the global South to actually
travel to the IGF this year.

We are not questioning the hybrid model per se but expressing our
concern that in the specific context of the pandemic, there are risks
associated to using it as the leading model for the December IGF
meeting. In that sense, our call is for putting together mechanisms to
ensure that onsite and remote participation is balanced. Our suggestion
is that the virtual modality of the hybrid model is the default
parameter to organise the IGF annual event. This, we believe, would
influence how the event deals with time zone concerns and attendance
support schemes, for example.

The statement is not an end in itself. We expect to engage with the IGF
with concrete suggestions of measures to ensure a truly inclusive
meeting, building on what the IGF has been doing for years. Our goal is
not to alter decisions that are now already being implemented, but to
make a call to the IGF community to place these concerns at the center
of the planning and preparatory activities underway between now and
December.

I hope it clarifies the spirit of the statement.

Best,

Valeria

--
http://www.apc.org