[Governance] Invitation to sign on : Civil society calls for a virtual IGF 2021 to strengthen inclusivity

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 23:06:12 EDT 2021

I don’t think the statement is saying anything against going back to the
normal life. It just has some broad suggestions that are very legit
considering “hybrid” models never really worked even outside of COVID what
was normal for some wasn’t normal for remote participants. Equal footing in
hybrid models during or outside of covid restrictions has unfortunately
been unattainable. Pasted the paragraph from APC statement just to point
out what they are actually arguing:

“We remain fully committed to the IGF and to making the 16th annual meeting
a success story. This is why we call on organisers to carefully shape the
hybrid event to address our concerns and ensure a successful, inclusive and
balanced meeting.

In particular, we recommend that mechanisms are put in place to tackle the
issue of time zones and connectivity costs. Adopting the Polish time as the
single standard would significantly limit participation of those based in
incompatible time zones. Also, participants should have access to a data
support scheme, in addition to the travel support already announced, to
ensure participation is affordable to all, especially those coming from
countries where broadband connectivity is not the default and data packages
are expensive.

The signatories of this statement express their willingness to participate
in the discussion and implementation of ideas, structures, methodologies
and technologies to ensure meaningful remote participation during all
phases of the annual event. The key challenge of ensuring meaningful remote
participation in the IGF as valued and impactful as in-person participation
cannot be overstated or taken for granted. This is an essential part in the
present and future of making the IGF a more open, inclusive and globally
relevant process.”

Farzaneh