[Governance] 170 orgs send an open letter to UN SG to stop plans for a new High Level Multistakeholder Body

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Apr 12 02:35:51 EDT 2021

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56701765

Jack Ma's Alibaba gets heavily fined for abusing its marker dominance
for many years. Bill Gates's Microsoft earned most of its money from its
monopoly OS and office applications, employing blatantly
anti-competitive practices in the 1990's and 2000's ...

Great that It is for Jack Ma and Mrs Gates to give us the roadmap for
global digital cooperation and (non) regulation , as they did through
the "Digital Cooperation' initiative .... It is quick shocking that the
irony of it is entirely lost on most 'civil society' here. Not sure what
is happening.

Under the new 'Digital Cooperation' rubric, being built right now, we
would of course soon have Facebook and Twitter leading policy work on
social media, and Google and Baidu  on data governance.

Already Microsoft plays the biggest part in developing outcomes from the
IGF's best Practices Forum on data and new technologies ... The new
Digital Cooperation rubric is explicitly supposed to carry forward work
from industry dominated activities in best practices forums to global
digital policy stage, stamped with the legitimacy of a 'bottom up
process' and now the authority of the new High Level Multistakeholder
Body that is being set up.

Let the people here, and those actively involved in building and
supporting this new global digital policy architecture, not deny the
responsibility when the fully grown Frankenstein is up and active among
us ....

ON OECD's digital policy making;

This is an announcement today
https://www.oecd.org/digital/trusted-government-access-personal-data-private-sector.htm

It says " The OECD Committee on Digital Economy Policy, which has long
been at the forefront of global data governance policy work,"

So, well people can still keep denying that OECD's CDEP does 'policy
work' and further that it does 'global policy work' , and in a fully
colonial way keep working with and supporting the OECD digital policy
work, even as they oppose similar possibilities at the global level.

It further says, that the purpose is to "examine the possibility of
developing, as a matter of priority, an instrument setting out
high-level principles or policy guidance for trusted government access
to personal data held by the private sector."

Not policy work, right!

The " Committee agreed to convene a drafting group comprised of
nominated government representatives and experts, including from law
enforcement and national security agencies", for the purpose if
developing a draft instrument.

All drafting group members are gov representatives or otherwise gov
nominated ... And this is just the drafting group, the final decision
making body, the Committee itself, is of course also fully governmental .

But sure, people can keep calling OECD's digital policy work as
multistakholder, and call the same model at the UN level as
multi--lateral and gov capture of digital governance.

parminder