[Governance] 170 orgs send an open letter to UN SG to stop plans for a new High Level Multistakeholder Body

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Thu Apr 1 15:38:59 EDT 2021

FWIW in yesterday's chat Brad Smith also called for regulation, comparing
it to finance in the 1930s.

https://ia801508.us.archive.org/21/items/sipa-gdf2021-2/sipa-gdf2021-2_TRANSCRIPT.pdf

"One thing I think is happening, when you really step back, is, I think,
the 2020s are
going to do for digital services what the 1930s did for financial services.
The 1930s remade the
regulation of financial services, and they went from largely being
unregulated to operating in the
context of markets that were governed by new laws and new rules. It's odd
to hear somebody
from an industry that will be regulated say, well, maybe that's not such a
bad thing, but I will say,
maybe that's not such a bad thing. Maybe the key for healthy markets in the
long term, and more
important than that, maybe what is fundamental for the preservation of
democracy, is some more
rules than we've had over the last few decades."

--
Joly MacFie  +12185659365