[Governance] IGC IGF pre-event information: register your interest and participate!

Sheetal Kumar sheetal at gp-digital.org
Fri Oct 9 09:31:52 EDT 2020

Dear all,

Following this email, an IGC member has proposed the following format for
our discussion. Ayden has also shared the resource " interplay between
Internet infrastructure and human rights".

This is just a suggestion and we would love to hear your thoughts on the
session - and hope you will be able to attend!

Best
Sheetal

- * What is the 'public interest' internet? What would it look like?*

   1. What public values should be prioritized? (e.g. economic and
   innovation VS personal data protection and privacy
   2. Where these public values to be embodied?: Law and policies, terms
   and conditions of digital companies, regulatory standards, technical
   governance (openness), else?

- *What are the main challenges to the public interest internet?*

   1. Internal challenges within civil society
      1. Funding and capacity
      2. Collaboration among CS: Who do what; collaboration mechanisms.
      3. Legitimacy: of a civil society organisation (CSO), of CS entities
      as a group in the eyes of CS colleagues, of CS as a group in
front of other
      stakeholder groups.
   2. External challenges
      1. Polycentric governance in IG field: CS where to go to participate
      in shaping the public interest internet)
      2. And with lack of global leadership: Is the current leading role of
      Europe as a global regulator enough? CS where to anchor standards when
      conducting national advocacy efforts?
      3. Access to policy-making at the national, international, and global
      level.
      4. Shadowy governance by major digital platforms
      5. Regulatory capacity of governments
      6. The interests of authorities to control the Internet

- *Defining a long-term advocacy agenda*

   1. To strengthen internal CS entities: increase the visibility of global
   IG CS mailing lists like IGC, JNC; maybe to create a list of which CS
   organization do what, major CS to offer courses or sources in those mailing
   lists to marginalized CS groups
   2. To increase collaboration (or at least consultation) and strengthen
   the collaboration mechanisms among CS groups when participating in any
   policy-development process.
   3. To develop a policy ecosystem that is open to the participation of
   civil society, while at the same time maintaining the independence of civil
   society.
   4. To strengthen global leadership in IG field

- *Opportunities (which CS do what and potential collaboration?)*

   1. International multistakeholder forums: IGF+, regional and national
   IGF, Global Network Initiative, etc?
   2. Intergovernmental organisations: ITU, OHCHR, WIPO, WTO, Council of
   Europe, OECD, etc?
   3. Private sector commercial: major digital platforms and
   telecommunication companies, etc?
   4. Technical standards organisations: IETF, ICANN, etc?
   5. National governments
   6. Other opportunities: Rightscon, etc?