[Governance] Joint Statement from NTEN and EFF on Rejection of Sale of .ORG

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Fri May 1 08:44:23 EDT 2020

> On May 1, 2020, at 2:34 PM, Carlos Vera via Governance <governance at lists.igcaucus.org> wrote:
>
> * Icann agrees with the Internet community *

Really?  Do you believe that the Internet community wants ISOC to simply turn to the next private equity bidder in the queue, and start this process again, rather than moving forward with the established multistakeholder open competition, as was done in 2002?

https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/resolutions-2020-04-30-en

"Resolved (2020.04.30.02), the above decision is without prejudice to PIR to submit a new notice of indirect change of control and entity conversion for consideration if PIR successfully achieves an entity conversion approval in Pennsylvania through the Pennsylvania Court, which the ICANN Board and org will consider when evaluating any new notice."

Make no mistake.  Thus far, this has only been a win for the lobbyists of Ethos’ PE competitors; it’s cleared the way for them and put .ORG back into play.  ICANN hasn’t acknowledged the interests of multistakeholder community at all.  We have to continue pushing if we want the public interest to be served.

                                -Bill