[governance] Portulans Institute 2020 Plans & News

Thu Jan 30 08:51:43 EST 2020

As we enter the new decade, we wish to provide you with some updates on our
plans for 2020.
View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/e99f74ffe817/portulans-institute-2020-plans-news?e=018340ec59>
Plans & News for 2020 January 30, 2020
A Note from the Founders

Dear friends and colleagues,

As we enter the new decade, we wish to provide you with some updates on our
plans for 2020, including opportunities for you to engage with Portulans! Below
you will find information about our upcoming *launches*, *updates, and
events. *

Created in order to develop cross-community knowledge and dialogue on how
people, technology and innovation contribute to sustainable and inclusive
economic growth, the Portulans Institute aims to further this goal in 2020
by introducing our *Fellowship Program*
<https://portulansinstitute.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87d5bb342ae5650d01f820150&id=e14eb6e666&e=018340ec59>
in January. This program will aim to increase the *global reach* and
*impact* of our respective partners. *Application deadline is February
7th! *

The *Network Readiness Index 2019,*
<https://portulansinstitute.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87d5bb342ae5650d01f820150&id=0459f53a83&e=018340ec59>
which launched in Geneva in December 2019 ranks a total of *121 economies*
based on their performances across *62 variables.* Learn more with our
*executive
summary*
<https://portulansinstitute.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87d5bb342ae5650d01f820150&id=7e0d91704b&e=018340ec59>
or read the *full report*
<https://portulansinstitute.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87d5bb342ae5650d01f820150&id=f1bcd9f6d9&e=018340ec59>
 *.*  Importantly, this year we plan on adding to the NRI by producing
individual country studies and policy roadmaps.

Innovation and excellence in our activities is one of the* core values *of
the Portulans Institute and in 2020 we aim to bolster this by *expanding
our outreach and activities*. We are all extremely excited for the new year
and we hope you join us on our mission.

All the best,

Soumitra Dutta, Bruno Lanvin, and Carolina Rossini
Founders, Portulans Institute
To never miss another monthly newsletter make sure to *click* and
*subscribe*!
Subscribe
<https://portulansinstitute.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87d5bb342ae5650d01f820150&id=6bac3437b2&e=018340ec59>

[Left to Right] Soumitra Dutta, Carolina Rossini, and Bruno Lanvin
*The Network Readiness Index 2019: Towards a Future-Ready Society*

Launched in Geneva, in December 2019, the complete Network Readiness Index
(NRI) is now available for *download*
<https://portulansinstitute.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87d5bb342ae5650d01f820150&id=aa1585907f&e=018340ec59>.
First published in 2002, the Index provided a holistic framework for
assessing the *multi-faceted impact of ICT* on society and the development
of nations.

The NRI rapidly developed into an influential *global benchmark* for the
application and utilization of ICT. Many economies utilized the NRI to
design their ICT strategies, and *the NRI was used and frequently quoted *by
leaders from the public and private sectors.

The redesigned NRI ranks a total of *121 economies* based on their
performances across *62 variables* and recognizes the pervasiveness of
digital technologies in today’s networked world and therefore rests on four
fundamental dimensions: *Technology, People, Governance and Impact.* This
holistic approach means that the NRI covers issues ranging from future
technologies such as *Artificial Intelligence* and the *Internet of Things
(IoT) *to the role of the digital economy in reaching the *Sustainable
Development Goals (SDGs).*

The *top performer *in this year’s index is *Sweden*, which is just ahead
of *Singapore* in *2nd place* and *the Netherlands* in *3rd place*. The *top
10* countries in the NRI 2019 are *shown in the table below *along
with the *top
regional performers*. The top of the rankings are dominated by *European
nations*, with the region claiming 8 of the top 10 positions. The* United
States *is ranked *8th* globally.
Full Report Here
<https://portulansinstitute.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87d5bb342ae5650d01f820150&id=d4575daf9e&e=018340ec59>

Portulans Institute co-founder Bruno Lanvin interviewed by CNN Switzerland
in Davos.
*Presentation of the NRI and the Case of India*

Since the launch of the 2019 edition of the Network Readiness Index
<https://portulansinstitute.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87d5bb342ae5650d01f820150&id=a8633e4b6e&e=018340ec59>
(NRI)
in Geneva on December 18th 2019, Portulans Institute co-founder Soumitra
Dutta has presented the Network Readiness Index and his work on the Global
Innovation Index to multiple groups.

Dutta started the year with lectures to the *Cornell EMBA Metro Class*,
teaching a course on *Leading Digital Transformation* *and Innovation* to
the EMBA students. Afterwards, Dutta traveled to India and presented the
NRI at two major business schools in India. First, on January 17th, Dutta
was the keynote academic speaker at the *SP Jain Institute of Management
Research’s Business Academia Enclave*
<https://portulansinstitute.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87d5bb342ae5650d01f820150&id=e4357fc8e9&e=018340ec59>
in
Mumbai. Dutta spoke about how becoming network-ready implies *profound
organizational and business model change* and requires leadership from the
very top of organizations.  Later, on January 20th, Dutta addressed
students at the *Goa Institute of Management*
<https://portulansinstitute.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87d5bb342ae5650d01f820150&id=b2eae48ef9&e=018340ec59>,
where
he stressed the importance of building an effective knowledge innovation
ecosystem with a focus on multiple factors including *education*, *SMEs*,
*institutions*, *ecosystems*, and *branding*.

In the 2019 NRI, *India is ranked 79 among 121 ranked countries*
<https://portulansinstitute.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87d5bb342ae5650d01f820150&id=f2460f09af&e=018340ec59>.
Its
key strength lies in *Governance (52nd)*, as a result of consistent
performances in all three sub-pillars: *Trust (49th)*, *Regulation (59th)*
and *Inclusion (58th)*.

Click the* button* below to read the full blog post and watch the key-note
video!
Full Blog Post
<https://portulansinstitute.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87d5bb342ae5650d01f820150&id=90cd516f45&e=018340ec59>
Dutta addressing the faculty and students of the Goa Institute of Management
Dutta presenting the keynote on innovation and technology at S.P. Jain
Institute of Management & Research
*Launches & Updates: *

*2020 Portulans Institute Fellowship*
The Portulans Institute is offering opportunities for *graduate students*
and *young professionals* to work on novel research related to *human
capital*, *technology*, and *innovation* policies. We encourage
applications from *individuals in any country* who are committed to
understanding and advancing an inclusive and sustainable development of
societies. Click *here*
<https://portulansinstitute.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87d5bb342ae5650d01f820150&id=9d9eac29df&e=018340ec59>
to learn more!

*Upcoming Relevant Events:*

*Our co-founders will attend and speak at:*

   - *Data as a Development Issue*,
   <https://portulansinstitute.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87d5bb342ae5650d01f820150&id=cd8a0945b6&e=018340ec59>
   Washington D.C. January 31, 2020
   - *American University of Cairo*, February 9-10, 2020: Soumitra Dutta
   will give a presentation

*Portulans Institute is co-organizing panels at:*

   - *eCommerce Week 2020: Creating value in the digital economy:*
   <https://portulansinstitute.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87d5bb342ae5650d01f820150&id=8df6ca33ab&e=018340ec59>
   27 April - 1 May 2020
   - *12th WTO Ministerial Conference:*
   <https://portulansinstitute.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87d5bb342ae5650d01f820150&id=650135145f&e=018340ec59>
   <https://portulansinstitute.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87d5bb342ae5650d01f820150&id=fb15478791&e=018340ec59>June
   8-11 2020

*Portulans Institute Newsletter:*

The Portulans Institute Newsletter aims to provide our audience with
*up-to-date
news* about our *upcoming *launches, events & projects.  The Newsletter
will also include important developments in the world of *Innovation*,
*Technology,* & *Global Talent*.

*Click to subscribe!*
Subscribe
<https://portulansinstitute.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87d5bb342ae5650d01f820150&id=afc7ce1533&e=018340ec59>

ABOUT THE PORTULANS INSTITUTE

Founded in 2019, the Portulans Institute (PI) is an independent non-profit,
non-partisan research and educational institute based in Washington DC.

Website
<https://portulansinstitute.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=87d5bb342ae5650d01f820150&id=d5a3b5d351&e=018340ec59>

--

*__Carolina A. Rossini, JD, LLM, MBA*