[Governance] ACM Guide to best practices for virtual conferences

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Sat Apr 11 20:21:05 EDT 2020

(via Benjamin C. Pierce / Dave Farber)

*[TL;DR: Please help circulate a new guide for organizers of virtual
conferences.]*

Dear colleagues,

The Association for Computing Machinery recently chartered a Presidential
Task Force to gather and disseminate guidance on best practices for virtual
conferences, aimed at the many conference organizers moving their events
online right now.

The task force report, *Virtual Conferences: A Guide to Best Practices
<https://www.acm.org/virtual-conferences>, *is now available on the ACM web
site <https://www.acm.org/virtual-conferences>  It offers a comprehensive
survey of issues, organizational strategies, and technology platforms for
successful virtual meetings.

We hope that you (and your colleagues) will find this report useful. If you
do, we would love to hear about it! And naturally if you have any
suggestions for improvement, we would love to hear those too. (The PDF
document linked above includes a pointer to a live Google Doc where you can
leave suggestions and comments if you like.) If you have recently organized
a virtual conference or are organizing one now, we would especially like to
include your experiences (how you organized it, how it went, what people
thought, a summary of any post-conference survey results, your advice for
future conferences, etc.) and add it (or better yet a pointer to it) to the
appendix that we’ve provided for such experience reports.

Finally, can you please help us make sure this guide reaches the people
that need it by forwarding this announcement within your networks
(especially, of course, to current conference organizers)?

Many thanks!

     Benjamin Pierce
     Task force executive editor

…on behalf of the entire task force:

Crista Videira Lopes <https://www.ics.uci.edu/~lopes/>, University of
California, Irvine, USA (Task Force Co-chair)
Jeanna Matthews <https://people.clarkson.edu/~jmatthew/>, Clarkson
University, USA (Task Force Co-chair, member of ACM Council, Former SGB
Chair)
Benjamin Pierce <https://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/>, University of
Pennsylvania, USA (Task Force Executive Editor, SIGPLAN Vice Chair, chair
of SIGPLAN ad hoc committee on climate change
<https://www.sigplan.org/Resources/Climate/>)

Blair MacIntyre <https://blairmacintyre.me/>, Georgia Tech, USA (Chaired
IEEE VR 2020)
Gary Olson <https://garymolson.com/>, University of California, Irvine, USA
(Former SIGCHI Treasurer; Chair of CSCW Steering Committee, chaired CHI,
CSCW, DIS, and many non-ACM conferences)
Rob Lindeman
<https://researchprofile.canterbury.ac.nz/Researcher.aspx?researcherid=4447467>,
University of Canterbury, NZ (Chaired IEEE VR 2010)
Francois Guimbretiere <https://www.cs.cornell.edu/~francois/>, Cornell
University, USA (Chaired UIST 2019)
Srinivasan Keshav
<https://www.fitz.cam.ac.uk/people/professor-srinivasan-keshav>, University
of Cambridge, UK (Former SIGCOMM Chair)

Ex-officio members:
Vicki Hanson <https://vickihanson.org/> (ACM CEO, Former ACM President)
Pat Ryan (ACM COO)
Donna Cappo (ACM Director of SIG Services)

--
Joly MacFie  +2185659365