[governance] IGF 2019 Civil society pre-event: planning and preparation

Tue Sep 24 11:21:51 EDT 2019

Hi Bruna, all:

Thanks for looping me in. I've been hoping for some time that more people
throughout the IG community would see the value in discussing climate
change and sustainability as it relates to our work. Indeed, many different
groups and initiatives are working on it, albeit across sectors and
stakeholder groups.

It's a massive problem – and it's not just data centers, it's literally
everything you can think of as it relates to technology. While Internet
governance tends (or at least tries) to limit itself to discussions about
processes or what's *on* the Internet, the fact is there are multiple ways
that the IG community could address sustainability more broadly (see
the EuroDIG
2017 session <https://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/WS_11_2017> I organised, for
instance).

At the same time, IRPC is really spearheading this at the moment. I think
it's more prudent to join with them in support to address how climate
change and sustainability are, at the very core, human rights issues, as
well as to limit redundancy. Instead of briefing everyone on the issue, for
example, I'd happily give a webinar to anyone interested about the
interconnections (but I've also written extensively about it).

My suggestion is to support IRPC and leave the CS pre-event to strategy or
another topic that isn't covered at all by the IGF (the workshops have a
rather narrow focus this year, to put it diplomatic terms).

Best,
-Michael