[governance] IGC Coordinator Relections - Reminder - Votes Closing in a few days

Chris Prince Udochukwu Njọkụ udochukwu.njoku at unn.edu.ng
Sun Sep 22 22:05:41 EDT 2019

From Jean's post, I picked something I think deserves serious attention,
and maybe should hasten onset of charter revision.  That is, persons who
are under 2 months on list at time of election, who joined the list to be
IGC members, will wait till the next election (1 year) to have a chance of
being an IGC member.  Isn't this a long time?

It leads me into wanting to ask: Why is voting a requirement for
membership? An answer by colleagues who came up with or approved the idea
will help so much in deciding to keep or expunge it in/from the charter.
In absence of an indispensable rationale, I think we have to step it down
and do it soon, before it dampens the morale of someone who comes in with
the thought they're joining IGC membership.

As per drawing a distinction between members and non-members, whether
Tapani or anyone else is interested in doing so or not, the list of members
that will be published after the election, as we had been intimated on this
list, is just doing that. If such distinction is or may be offensive, can
we reassess the idea of and/or approach to publishing the members list?

On Sunday, September 22, 2019, Jean F. Quéralt <
JFQueralt at theiofoundation.org> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Just for the interest of clarification I didn't feel there was any
> intention to "purge" per se. I was more trying to point out to that
> "loophole" (for lack of a better word on my part - English not being my
> first language) as at least all those who joined from BB recently would be
> in that particular situation.
>
> As you mention, it would be a good conversation to look into during a
> Charter revision.
>
> All is good :-)
>
> Best,
> Jean
>
> On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 5:11 PM Tapani Tarvainen <
> tapani.tarvainen at effi.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jean,
>>
>> My apologies for being unclear.
>>
>> When I said we have no such plans I meant literally just that - I did
>> not intend to imply that anything like that had been considered or
>> should or even could be planned. I was just replying to Michael who
>> seemed to think it might be possible. Indeed what you correctly
>> observe about new members makes it clear that such a purge would not
>> be possible.
>>
>> In any case I am not in any position to remove anyone from the list
>> even if wanted to. I'm now only concerned with the elections and apart
>> from recording who voted and who didn't I'm not going to make any
>> distinctions between list members.
>>
>> But as your and Michael's questions indicate, it might be good if our
>> charter was clearer on this point, distinguishing between new members
>> (who are planning to vote as soon as they can) and observers (who can't
>> or don't want to vote). But that's just a note for a possible future
>> charter revision.
>>
>> I hope this clarifies the situation.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Tapani
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 03:16:08PM +0800, Jean F. Quéralt (
>> JFQueralt at theiofoundation.org) wrote:
>> >
>> > Dear Tapani,
>> >
>> > Your message raised doubts in me.

>> > subject, eligible voters had a number of conditions to fulfil; one of
>> them
>> > being the time they've joined the list.
>> > That makes the case that, inevitably, you'll have members of the list
>> that
>> > can't be voters. I am one of those as I joined the list during the BB
>> > merging, less than 2 months ago. So I am a member of the list and can't
>> > (won't) vote.
>> >
>> > I hear you when you say "no plans to purge non-voters"... the question
>> that
>> > comes to my mind is how to avoid that status to being with since all
>> > newcomers will have that 2-months "waiting/vetting" time before being
>> able
>> > to vote?
>> > Anything I am missing?
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Jean
>> >
>> > PS: Also read Ian's message on the matter. Just thinking the "limbo
>> status"
> [...]

Chris Prince Udochukwu *Njọkụ*, Ph.D.
Computer Communications Centre
University of Nigeria, Nsukka 410001
@DrCPUNjoku

 We mustn't remain with old ways of doing things,

especially if they're not yielding optimum results.