[governance] Taiwanese nationals and the IGF

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen at effi.org
Mon Sep 9 08:13:45 EDT 2019

On Sep 09 13:41, "Michael J. Oghia" (governance at lists.riseup.net) wrote:

> I passed on all the updates to my friend, and I think she will participate
> remotely. As for the bigger question about how to handle such issues in the
> future, I'm open to ideas though as it is a UN event, I'm not sure we have
> many options.

Given the guidelines say "a picture ID issued by a national authority
of a state recognised by the United Nations" and it does not need to
be a valid travel document, all we need is to get some UN-recognised
state to issue IDs to people from non-UN member countries. For example
the host country could issue custom ID cards just for the purpose. Or
any other country willing to annoy China.

Some 20 or so UN members do have diplomatic relations with Taiwan.
Perhaps one of those would be willing to help (they just might if
Taiwanese government hinted there'd be more foreign aid in the way).

It would be really interesting to have IGF in one of those...

--
Tapani Tarvainen