[governance] Taiwanese nationals and the IGF

ian.peter at ianpeter.com ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Fri Sep 6 04:44:31 EDT 2019

I wish there was an easy answer to this Michael.

But as I understand it, we are dealing with a whole-of-UN problem, not
just an IGF one. For whatever historic reasons, and they are to do with
recognition of the Peoples Republic of China, Taiwan is not  recognised
by the UN as a nation state - although they would like to be and have a
few allies pushing their cause.

I believe it goes back to 1971. China's attitude has been "The United
Nations is an international organization composed of sovereign
states.Taiwan as a province of China is completely not qualified and has
no right to participate in it. Due to the well-known reasons, the Taiwan
authorities illegally usurped China's UN seat for as long as 22 years"
(http://ae.china-embassy.org/eng/zt/twwt/t150866.htm)

But having said that - others might be able to provide more background -
since IGF is not a meeting of nation states, but also includes civil
society and other stakeholders, one would think there might  be a way
around it. Yes, to register one needs a passport - maybe an ally of
Taiwan would be prepared to issue passports or acceptab;e documents for
Taiwanese citizens?

I don't know how we could get around this, just brainstorming. In an
ideal IGF, stateless people would have a voice and be able to attend,
subject of course to standard security clearances. Maybe MAG could
explore this?

Ian Peter