[governance] WEBCAST TODAY: Webinar: Are Organizations Ready for New #Privacy Regulations? @ISOC_OTA

Ayden Férdeline ayden at ferdeline.com
Sat Sep 28 05:55:17 EDT 2019

Joly - I appreciate you streaming this, and this criticism is not directed towards you.

However, this is a very low quality report which is not worth reading. I would not suggest anyone block time in their calendar to watch this webinar.

The report lacks rigour and the key findings are not supported by the evidence that ISOC has published. There are a number of logical fallacies evident throughout the report and it has not even been proofread, as there are incomplete sentences and typos throughout.

And there are some assertions in the report that might have been true or thought to have been true 20 years ago, but which are now out of date.

Troublingly, I do not believe ISOC's own privacy policy would pass the pretty rudimentary criteria they have set here either. (And yet ISOC has made its own 'Honor Roll', and I cannot understand how this could possibly be the case, as their privacy policy is among the worst you could find - unclear, incomplete, and out of date.)

I would love to see ISOC lead by example and improve its own privacy practices. But until it does, it might want to consult with some actual privacy experts when in the future it spends public interest money on privacy research. Because this is not a report that was ready to be published, and it should not have been published, in my opinion.

Ayden Férdeline