[governance] IGF 2019 Civil society pre-event: planning and preparation

Veronica veronica at apc.org
Thu Oct 24 12:07:15 EDT 2019

Sheetal, thanks for sharing the schedule and for putting it together.

Hi all,

I am Verónica Ferrari and I recently joined the list and APC as a
Coordinator at the Global Policy Team. From APC, we will be
participating in the meeting and happy to help with the sessions on
Content Moderation and/or the multi-stakeholder initiatives/High Panel
on Digital Cooperation, if needed.

***Best regards. **Verónica *

********

On 22/10/2019 13:45, Sheetal Kumar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for the inputs! To confirm the event is "Pre-event 43: Civil
> Society Coordination Meeting" and is taking place on Monday November
> 25 from 12:35 to 15:35. On addressing themes instead of initiatives,
> it was suggested elsewhere that we should try and develop a response
> to the HLPDC report in some way so that's why I put that down as a focus.
>
> I've adapted the schedule below to reflect the input so far,
> highlighting the changes in light yellow.
>
> If we could get volunteer facilitators for each session that would be
> great :) - any takers?
>
> Best
> Sheetal
> /
> /
> /---------------------------------------/
> Pre-event 43: Civil Society Coordination Meeting
> /
> /
> /Part 1 - 30-40 mins?/
> - Welcome and update on IGC (Bruna and Sheetal)
> - Expectations from the event (plenary)
>
> /Part 2 - 1-1.5 hours?/
> Issues (six issues)
>
>   * Breakout led by different volunteers (e.g each group defines the
>     issue, problem at hand, key forums/spaces where issues is being
>     discussed, possible messages)
>       o Multistakeholder initiatives in IG (w/ focus on High Level
>         Panel on Digital Cooperation)
>       o Cybercrime
>       o Sustainable Development
>       o Content regulation (w/ focus on Christchurch call)
>       o Advancing Responsible State Behavior in Cyberspace (w/ focus
>         on 1st Committee)
>       o Emerging technologies (w/ discussion of 'ethics')
>   * Plenary: each group shares summary of break-out group discussion
>
> /Part 3 - 45 mins?/
> Next steps, including IGC internal issues
> - How do we work together/collaborate on the issues identified?
> - Discussion of other issues including internal IGC which will
> necessitate working together
>
> On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 at 19:48, Peter Micek <peter at accessnow.org
> <mailto:peter at accessnow.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     I agree with Farzaneh on combining into themes.
>
>      What is the goal and scope of the ethics discussion? I note the
>     recommendation to qualify it as 'ethical use of data.' But I
>     mainly hear of ethics in terms of safeguards on AI, which would go
>     beyond a data oriented discussion. If this was meant to cover the
>     discussion of fairness and ethics in AI, might it not be better to
>     have a 'Emerging Technologies' section, where we could talk of the
>     different approaches to AI, blockchain, 5g, etc., from ethics to
>     data protection to human rights?
>
>     Just on its face, I would hate to see the civil society agenda
>     mainly discussing emerging technologies through a lens of 'ethics.'
>
>     Thanks,
>     Peter
>

>     On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 9:53 AM Arsène Tungali
> [...]

Verónica Ferrari
Global Policy Advocacy Coordinator
Association for Progressive Communications (APC)
www.apc.org
veronica at apc.org