[governance] IGF 2019 Civil society pre-event: planning and preparation

Peter Micek peter at accessnow.org
Mon Oct 21 14:47:38 EDT 2019

Hi all,

I agree with Farzaneh on combining into themes.

 What is the goal and scope of the ethics discussion? I note the
recommendation to qualify it as 'ethical use of data.' But I mainly hear of
ethics in terms of safeguards on AI, which would go beyond a data oriented
discussion. If this was meant to cover the discussion of fairness and
ethics in AI, might it not be better to have a 'Emerging Technologies'
section, where we could talk of the different approaches to AI, blockchain,
5g, etc., from ethics to data protection to human rights?

Just on its face, I would hate to see the civil society agenda mainly
discussing emerging technologies through a lens of 'ethics.'

Thanks,
Peter