[governance] Public Interest Registry sale by ISOC - .org management sold for profit

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Fri Nov 22 03:04:30 EST 2019

Hello all,

I have no information on the value of the deal but taking into account
that this is a legacy TLD, that there are also 2 other TLDs involved,
.ONG and .NGO, and counting the total number of registrations in these,
comparing it with Verisign's worth with its number of registrations in
.COM - Verisign as an example, with 154.5 Million domains in .COM and
15.6 million domains in .NET, valued at nearly US$22Bn and PIR in 11.3
million domains in .ORG - one could conservatively say that PIR should
be at least worth US$1.5 Bn.

Also 8% return p/a is unachievable for an endowment fund that needs to
be low risk.
You'd be lucky to get 3-4% if you want to keep the risk low.
Kindest regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD