[governance] PIR Case/or the .org sell

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Wed Nov 27 21:53:58 EST 2019

On November 27, 2019 at 10:32 ayden at ferdeline.com (Ayden FĂ©rdeline) wrote:
 > Dear Bill,
 >
 > Yes, I have heard the counter argument, which is that this sale will provide ISOC with additional and more-stable funding. Is there another one? I'm afraid I don't find it persuasive. ISOC is proposing to sell out the non-commercial community for its own private greed. A wealthy ISOC is in the interests of ISOC, and not the Internet community as a whole.

Here's a counter-argument:

.ORG, and the vast majority of other TLDs (including the 1,000+ new
gTLDs), don't actually mean anything.

There are a small handful of exceptions and most of those are just
self-imposed by some idealistic registry. Most any could change
tomorrow and just begin selling SLDs to anyone with $15 or whatever.

When was the last time someone was refused a .ORG registration because
they weren't actually a non-profit or whatever? 1990?

  I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

  I do not think that they will sing to me.

  I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
  Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
  When the wind blows the water white and black.
  We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
  By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
  Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

    - from "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock", T.S. Eliot

--
        -Barry Shein