[governance] [Call for Collective Action] Content Moderation on the Internet/Christchurch summit

Thu May 2 22:20:49 EDT 2019

Dear all,

During the G7 Summit on 15 May 2019, France and New Zealand intend to
invite the world leaders and tech companies to agree to a pledge to eliminate
terrorist and violent extremist content online. There will be a civil
society event before the 15 May meeting which is by invitation.

Regardless of the format of the meeting and whether its output would be
even effective, Civil Society should collectively take action regarding
such multilateral attempts and influence the process as much as possible.
Especially when it comes to content moderation and content regulation, if
decisions are taken carelessly, we might see the values of the global,
interoperable Internet be undermined.

The InternetNZ (the ccTLD registry of New Zealand) aims to facilitate the
participation of civil society along with the technical community (not
technology nor platform corporations) in this process hence they have
issued a call at this link https://internetnz.nz/Christchurch-Call and set
up an online forum where we can discuss a statement that can be presented
during the civil society meeting on May 14 in Paris
<https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/nz-and-france-seek-end-use-social-media-acts-terrorism>,
or we can generally have discussions on the forum about this event, how
civil society and technical community should react to such initiatives and
whether we should and if so how we can provide input for a process that is
multilateral. We can also discuss topics that can be raised during the
civil society meeting on 14 May. Representatives of civil society
organizations will report around the meeting of 14 May, via the online
Forum and various civil society mailing lists including IGC.

Please join the online forum provided by InternetNZ(
https://internetnz.nz/Christchurch-Call ) and discuss the issue of
terrorist content moderation online and how it should be tackled. We can
also have preparatory and consultation meetings before 14 May.

Best regards,

Farzaneh