[governance] [bestbits] The proposal for closing Bestbits and merging with IGC + next steps (was "Follow-on from survey on the future of Bestbits: next steps")

Poncelet Ileleji pileleji at ymca.gm
Thu Jun 27 09:28:26 EDT 2019

Hello Sheetal,

I concur accordingly and have no objections at all to the proposal so I
have no further inputs.

Poncelet

Kind Regards

Poncelet

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 at 13:24, Sheetal Kumar <sheetal at gp-digital.org> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Thanks to all those who have inputted so far! It's great to see support
> for the proposal shared earlier this month. This is just a gentle reminder
> to weigh in on the proposal before *July 5th*, which I've recopied in
> italics below.
>
> Best
> Sheetal.
>
> *Meeting of IGC & BB participants, June 11th, 2019, RightsCon, Tunis*
>
> *Following a discussion of the history of coordination efforts from those
> who had been involved in the early set up of the IGC, and a discussion of
> what is needed to address challenges to information sharing & coordination,
> those present agreed that the proposal for combining, or consolidating,
> efforts should be taken forward (this was one of the four options suggested
> in a survey to Bestbits members earlier this year - see attached). This
> discussion also draws on and continues a series of online conversations
> facilitated by members of IGC and Bestbits, which you can see a summary of
> here: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Bestbitscallfuture
> <https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Bestbitscallfuture>. There was a need
> identified for more streamlined information sharing and expectation that
> opportunities to collaborate around common priorities or issues will arise
> from more structured and streamlined information sharing. It was also
> agreed that the current IGC Charter could form a basis for a future
> document but that it should be revisited and a more lightweight and general
> framework should be developed.*
>

> *Therefore, the group proposes that those interested in civil society
> coordination efforts related to the original vision of the IGC Charter (see
> attached), join the IGC and that Bestbits is closed, with an automatic
> response instituted for those posting on Bestbits, redirecting them to join
> IGC. Within IGC, following this merger, we propose that those interested
> form a small drafting group to draft a revised and more lightweight version
> of the Charter. Those present also agreed to work towards the organisation
> of a day 0 event before the global IGF this year in Berlin, in concert with
> German civil society groups. The day 0 event will be dedicated to
> finalising the revised Charter and sharing updates on relevant global
> processes (the UN High Level Panel on Digital Cooperation & the UN First
> Committee processes on cybersecurity). *
>

> *If you have strong concerns or if you oppose the merger proposal as
> outlined above, please share your perspectives by 05 July. Should there be
> no objections, we suggest the process as outlined is implemented after July
> 05. If you have any questions at all about the process so far, please do
> get in touch with us.*
>
> *Participants: Leena Romppainen (Effi), Gayatri Khandhadai (APC), Pavitra
> Ramanujam (APC), Sheetal Kumar (GPD), Anriette Esterhuysen (APC), Milton
> [...]

Poncelet O. Ileleji MBCS
Coordinator
The Gambia YMCAs Computer Training Centre & Digital Studio
MDI Road Kanifing South
P. O. Box 421 Banjul
The Gambia, West Africa
Tel: (220) 4370240