[governance] How to proceed with the Christchurch Call?

Sun Jun 2 19:22:30 EDT 2019

The NZ government and Prime Minister Ardern were specifically interested in
receiving feedback on how to proceed with the Christchurch call and which
processes and forums should be used. We already mentioned some venues in
our collective input such as the Internet Governance Forum and others.
since we have a couple of days to discuss the appropriate processes and
perhaps submit a more elaborate process document to the NZ government, I
thought it would be good to start a thread here.

In my opinion, we need a couple of pre-requisite for the venues that
discuss content moderation online. Moreover, we need to discuss
pre-requisite about the pledge itself before moving forward with processes
through which the pledge can be implemented. I think one off processes or
annual meetings that can be selective about topics such as IGF or are by
invitation only might not be the best venues. Perhaps we can start by
creating a process that possesses certain criteria. We can use the
InternetNZ coordination space as the starting point and build on it. [
https://christchurchcallcoord.internetnz.nz]

The criteria that come to mind are the following.

   -

   A stand-alone process which solely focuses on the Christchurch call and
   the mandate of the process is defined by the community.
   -

   Some aspects of the pledge text are unacceptable to some part of the
   Internet community. Any process for implementation of the pledge should
   consider the shortcomings of the text and provide further clarifications on
   the terms that are used or discuss whether some clauses should be
   implemented.
   -

   Any process used to move the Christchurch call forward should be
   inclusive of all stakeholders and not be government run only.
   -

   There should be direct participation by civil society and other parts of
   the Internet community in the Christchurch call process and stakeholders
   should not be consulted with in silos and through parallel processes.
   -

   The process should be inclusive hence by invitation only workshops and
   conferences are not the preferred venues to discuss the Christchurch call.
   Raising awareness about the call in these venues might be suitable but
   discussions about the text and its implementation that should be done
   through a process whereby everyone on an equal footing can participate.

These criteria are a starting point and we can elaborate further. If you
have any other issue in mind regarding the process lets discuss here.
Farzaneh