[governance] [bestbits] Who governs AI globally

Sat Jun 8 20:37:06 EDT 2019

Parminder,

In my opinion AI governance has nothing to do with Internet governance. AI
can be used on the Internet and against the Internet (censoring content
etc) but its governance is separate. This is something we are not clear
about in our discussions on AI and have derailed Internet governance
discussions with unrelated AI governance issues.

But I have an answer to your point. Many of us here from undemocratic
countries could not have participated effectively in multilateral processes
of the UN. Many countries have governments that do not represent them
effectively. UN is not an accountable organization. While any stakeholder
can participate at IG institutions, this is not the case for the UN
processes. Those who oppress us will represent us in the UN processes.
Their purpose is to protect their own existence and political institutions
rather than representing people. Sometimes they are not even aware of the
issues that affect their people. And we cannot fight for inclusion. UN is
for the nation states. They are the decisionmakers there even if they claim
they have also established multistakeholder processes.

I believe the mis-contribution to the civil society advocacy was,
unfortunately, the unnatural divide that was created by civil society
activists among the civil society itself. We were quite effective in WSIS
and other processes and to some extent still are at some IG processes. But
we are becoming more and more microfragmented. The more fragmented our
efforts are, the more we lack collective action, the easier it is for the
more powerful to pick us up one by one and make us ineffective. We can have
as many stand alone and similiarly themed workshops at IGF because we don't
agree with each other on some issues and don't cooperate to draft
proposals, we can have parallel and competing civil society meetings and
not get together. The ability is surely there but is it to the benefit of
civil society, the Internet community and globally connected people? I
think the answer is no!

Farzaneh