[governance] WEBCAST MONDAY: Spouseware and Stalkerware – Where Do We Go From Here? #LogicLoungeNY

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Mon Jul 8 22:09:03 EDT 2019

It's not often I give a full week's notice on a livestream, but it's not
often we get Eva Galperin in front of the camera (last time was 7 years ago
<https://youtu.be/9-E0Ypl_gl0>) !  Eva was recently named one of Fast
Company's 100 Most Creative People in Business for 2019
<https://www.fastcompany.com/90345870/most-creative-people-2019-electronic-frontier-foundation-eva-galperin>
 .

As to the topic: there's plenty of concern about government or capitalist
surveillance, but what about when it is someone closer to you?

[image: livestream] <https://livestream.com/internetsociety/logicloungeny>
On *Monday July 15 2019* at *5pm EDT* (21:00 UTC) the *31st International
Conference on Computer-Aided Verification <http://i-cav.org/2019/>* (CAV)
and the *Vienna Center for Logic and Algorithms at TU Wien
<http://www.vcla.at/>* (VCLA) present a talk: *Spouseware and Stalkerware -
Where Do We Go From Here?
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/logiclounge-with-eva-galperin-spouseware-and-stalkerware-where-do-we-go-from-here-tickets-64170496683>*
at
the New School in NYC.

Powerful surveillance software aka spyware is widely available on the
internet at affordable prices. It is marketed to employers wanting to
monitor the movements of their workers, to parents wanting to check
electronically on the whereabouts of their children, or even to reveal a
partner's infidelity. Where do the tech community, the police, and the
policymakers stand on the issue of surveillance for private purposes? How
much such usage/marketing is legal? And, lastly, how do you safeguard
yourself against an attack? Speaker *Eva Galperin
<https://twitter.com/evacide>*, Director of Cybersecurity at Electronic
Frontier Foundation (EFF), will address these questions and more.

The event will be webcast live on the *Internet Society Livestream Channel
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/>*.

*VIEW ON LIVESTREAM: https://livestream.com/internetsociety/logicloungeny
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/logicloungeny>*

*TWITTER: #LogicLoungeNY http://bit.ly/logicloungeny
<http://bit.ly/logicloungeny>*

*ABOUT LOGIC LOUNGE*
The LogicLounge was born at the Vienna Summer of Logic in 2014, which
brought together almost 3000 scientists in the fields of logic, philosophy,
mathematics, computer science, and artificial intelligence. Since then it
has been traveling the world as a regular event at the Conference on
Computer Aided Verification (CAV). The LogicLounge series is organized by
Vienna Center for Logic and Algorithms at TU Wien, Austria. The recordings
of past LogicLounges with Toby Walsh, Dana Scott, and others are available
at http://www.vcla.at/logiclounge/

https://isoc.live/11188/