[governance] Reviving IGC: Merging Bestbits in, IGF Day zero event and other subjects

Wed Jul 17 08:43:26 EDT 2019

Dear All Colleagues:
 I suggest the process activities and their sequence for your immediate kind review & implementation:
 1.    Parallel Activities:1.1.   Immediate Arrangement for the IGC Co-Coordinators Elections.1.2    Immediate Revival of IGCaucus.org Website
1.3.   Open discussion for the changes required in the IGC Charter Document and prepare Draft version of the proposed Charter.
1.4    Invitation to BB members to be send to join IGC before the co-co election is held.
2.    Activities in Sequence:2.1.   Conduct co-co Elections.2.2.   Circulation of Proposed IGC Charter Document for final review and to establish consensus.2.3.   Voting on Proposed IGC Charter Document.
2.4.   Update IGC Website & BB Website regularly.
2.5.   Implementation of the IGC Charter Document.

Thanking you and Best Regards
Imran Ahmed Shah

On Wednesday, 17 July 2019, 17:27:14 GMT+5, Imran Ahmed Shah <governance at lists.riseup.net> wrote:

  Dear Nnenna,
>Joining the IGC from BB  should not be  "a process".
>Once an individual decides that it is worth it.. it only takes a click to accept the charter and be added to the mailing list.
The process suggested by you for BB member to become a IGC by submitting request to create his account on IGCaucus site and enrolling his/her as a IGC member was already open and available. The same process has already proposed by few other members.
However, what do you mean by accepting the charter? Because previously on the IGC website, there was no option to accept the charter first. (see attached snapshot).

If we are going to change the IGC Charter, it requires voting among valid voting member.
A  newcomer to IGC or even a new member of IGC can't cast his/her vote to approve amendment(s) of the IGC Charter. Because it requires membership duration and voting is previous election....
Thanking you and Best Regards
Imran Ahmed Shah
   On Wednesday, 17 July 2019, 16:40:11 GMT+5, Nnenna Nwakanma <governance at lists.riseup.net> wrote:

 I think we can pull off an IGC elections by  Berlin IGF.
Joining the IGC from BB  should not be  "a process".

Once an individual decides that it is worth it.. it only takes a click to accept the charter and be added to the mailing list.

My 2 cents
Nnenna

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 11:36 AM Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:

Much to my surprise I agree with Parminder.  If Bestbits is to be wound up, so be it.

After which, those from Bestbits who wish to caucus in the IGC please subscribe to the list and do so.

From: <governance-request at lists.riseup.net> on behalf of parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>
Reply to: parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>
Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2019 at 4:50 pm
To: Arsène Tungali <arsenebaguma at gmail.com>, Sheetal Kumar <sheetal at gp-digital.org>
Cc: "ian.peter at ianpeter.com" <ian.peter at ianpeter.com>, "Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro" <salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com>, governance <governance at lists.riseup.net>
Subject: Re: [governance] Reviving IGC: Merging Bestbits in, IGF Day zero event and other subjects

On 17/07/19 3:25 PM, Arsène Tungali wrote:

Good point, Sheetal and I agree with you. I had briefly discussed the election issue with Bruna during the lastICANN meeting and we agreed that the best time to conduct co-coelections is right after the merger step is completed, the new charterhas been adopted and we have a unified list. I am sure Bruna wasplanning to report this to the list at some point, but here you are.

Arsene

I am not sure what you mean about a unified list...

There is a clear, and rather easy, way to join the IGC, and it is up to to those in Bestbits and not already in IGC to take that route if they want to. Meanwhile we do welcome all civil society members adhering to iGC's charter (rather than insisting for, unclear and unstated reasons, to modify it).

And there is really no merger involved here, even if people loosely use that language .

I remain astonished about the repeated talk about a new IGC charter, especially as an already decided thing! What exactly are you talking about.

And I am further pained for you, being still perhaps an IGC co-coordinator, not at all responding to my clear email about how this elist is the primary work place for the IGC, and also an ex-coordinator's assent tp the sentiment.

 I would suggest we all plan to attend the call and agree on next steps.

You can make whatever calls and agree on whatever steps you have you may wish to -- that is no part of IGC's procedure, and would have no meaning or consequence for it.

regards

parminder

 Regards,Arsene 2019-07-17 11:44 UTC+02:00, Sheetal Kumar <sheetal at gp-digital.org>:
Dear all, While the closure of Bestbits is an internal matter for Bestbits, we haveagreed for it to be closed and so I'd say any IGC conversations need totake that into account. We're at that point where the closure has beenagreed but there are still people on Bestbits who are not on IGC but likelywill sign up to be part of the discussions soon. As such, shouldn't we wait for those from Bestbits who want to join to joinand we can then get the IGC coordinator elections going? The call to agreenext steps and make sure everyone is on the same page is going to be w/cAugust 5. BestSheetal On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 at 06:29, ian.peter at ianpeter.com<ian.peter at ianpeter.com>wrote:
HI Bruna/ All Good morning to all! Bestbits' merging into the IGC is their internal matter. As for a day zero event at the IGF for the IGC, when do you plan it...Just Net Coalition has an event post lunch on day zero, and pleaseensurethat these do not clash. Thanks. While as a secondary or adjunct method call based discussions can bedoneamong however wishes to do so, the charter clearly says that the mainandauthoritative space of IGC's work will be this e-list, which I requesteveryone's attention to. thanks and best regards parminderOn 17/07/19 7:32 AM, Bruna Martins dos Santos (via governance MailingList) wrote: Dear IGC members, As some of you might be aware, there has been some discussions aroundthemerger of BestBits and IGC going on for the past months. Back in Tunis, @RightsCon <rightscon at accessnow.org>, some of us convenedto discuss further steps for Civil Society Coordination and that alsoentailed the merger debate. The summary of the discussion, as well asthedecision on closing BestBits can all be found at the BestBits list<http://lists.bestbits.net/arc/bestbits/2019-07/msg00001.html>. Past this moment, theres a need to arrange a call to discuss our nextsteps, including a Day Zero Event at the IGF, later in November. Anotheragenda items are also reviving the IGC website, IGC co-coordinatorselections and our charter. Additionally to IGC related subjects, thereisalso the need to discuss a proper closure for BestBits, as well asproperoutreach in a transparent way and the possibility for members to joinIGC. For this reason, @Sheetal Kumar <sheetal at gp-digital.org> created thisdoodle for all interested members to indicate their availability for thecall: https://doodle.com/poll/fy4mgf68qehhhh26<https://doodle.com/poll/fy4mgf68qehhhh26> Best Regards, --*Bruna Martins dos Santos * Skype ID: bruna.martinsantos at boomartins ---To unsubscribe: <mailto:igc-unsubscribe at lists.riseup.net><igc-unsubscribe at lists.riseup.net>List help: <https://riseup.net/lists> <https://riseup.net/lists> ---To unsubscribe: <mailto:igc-unsubscribe at lists.riseup.net>List help: <https://riseup.net/lists>
 --  *Sheetal Kumar*Programme Lead | GLOBAL PARTNERS DIGITALSecond Home, 68-80 Hanbury Street, London, E1 5JLT: +44 (0)20 3 818 3258| M: +44 (0)7739569514  |PGP ID: E592EFBBEAB1CF31  | PGP Fingerprint: F5D5 114D 173B E9E2 0603 DD7FE592 EFBB EAB1 CF31|

--- To unsubscribe: List help:
---