[governance] Idea of Instant Messaging for IGCaucus

Niels ten Oever lists at digitaldissidents.org
Mon Jul 29 07:45:10 EDT 2019

Dear all,

Thanks to all for the uptick in recent work. It is very much appreciated, and your work does not go unseen!

I strongly side with Johan on this, namely for keeping email as the only official and authoritative source for communications of the IGcaucus.

My reasoning is as follows:

- e-mail is the best communications protocol that works in a federated manner. Thus we are not dependent on one company or provider.

- e-mail has the best archiving options, and thus enable transparency and accountability, as well as future research into IG.

- e-mail is the authoritative communications protocol in many Internet Governance body, and since the IGcaucus focuses on this field, it is to be expected that the members are very acquainted with email.

I could imagine that there would be an unofficial and informal channel on Signal (far better privacy practices than Telegram and Whatsapp)- but this channel would then not be used for official decision making, and its use would not be mandated or regulated by the charter.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Niels