[governance] US State Department Remarks at the 2019 Internet Governance Forum USA Conference

Fri Jul 26 13:10:29 EDT 2019

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: U.S. Department of State <usstatebpa at public.govdelivery.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019, 3:37 pm
Subject: Remarks at the 2019 Internet Governance Forum USA Conference
To: <salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com>

You are subscribed to Economic, Energy, Agricultural and Trade Issues for
U.S. Department of State. This information has recently been updated, and
is now available.
Remarks at the 2019 Internet Governance Forum USA Conference
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTkwNzI2Ljg0OTczOTEmbWVzc2FnZWlkPU1EQi1QUkQtQlVMLTIwMTkwNzI2Ljg0OTczOTEmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xNzM5MDg5MCZlbWFpbGlkPXNhbGFuaWV0YS50YW1hbmlrYWl3YWltYXJvQGdtYWlsLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9c2FsYW5pZXRhLnRhbWFuaWthaXdhaW1hcm9AZ21haWwuY29tJmZsPSZleHRyYT1NdWx0aXZhcmlhdGVJZD0mJiY=&&&100&&&https://www.state.gov/remarks-at-the-2019-internet-governance-forum-usa-conference/>
07/25/2019 07:00 PM EDT

*As Prepared*

*Introduction*

Cyber attacks.  Disinformation campaigns.  The fragmentation of the
Internet.  Surveillance capitalism, or even worse, the surveillance state.

The U.S. Director of National Intelligence testified this year that U.S.
Strategic competitors will increasingly use cyber capabilities to seek
political, economic, and military advantage over the United States.  They
will seek to steal information, to influence our citizens, and to disrupt
critical infrastructure.

It is fair to say that the model of an open and interoperable internet,
driven by the multi-stakeholder approach, is facing challenges by those
that are threatened by the benefits it can bring.

Given the critical importance of the Internet to our economy and our
society, our very way of life seems at stake.The risks are real, yet the
“doom and gloom” masks the fact that the Internet remains an engine for our
prosperity.  It provides unparalleled access to information that, when used
for good, allows the whole of humanity to learn from our accumulated
knowledge.  It enables commerce across borders, which improves people’s
lives and standards of living.  It fosters discussion, debate, civic
engagement, freedom of expression, and transparency.  It connects us.

To maintain our vision of an open, interoperable, reliable, and secure
Internet, we must stand up for our fundamental values.  This means
adherence to the rule of law and the free flow of data across borders.  It
also means respect for privacy and the exercise of human rights online.

In my capacity as Deputy Assistant Secretary for Cyber and International
Communications and Information Policy, I lead a team that works
hand-in-hand with colleagues throughout the interagency to protect and
advance these values every day.  Let me share with you how the State
Department and the U.S. government is putting these values into action in
engagements on emerging technology, cybersecurity, and in dealing with some
of the authoritarian uses of technology that we see bubbling up in parts of
the world.

The U.S. government could not do it without our private sector, academic,
civil society, and foreign partners.  This is the multi-stakeholder model
of Internet governance supported by the Internet Governance Forum, and it
is why I am so happy to be with you today.

Given the borderless nature of much of cyberspace, and the need to advance
the values of both privacy and security, we must avoid falling into the
trap of false choices. We do not need to sacrifice the free flow of data
across borders in order to protect and secure personal data. World-class
cybersecurity can protect data wherever it resides in the cloud; and
common, interoperable data protection principles that democracies share can
guard privacy around the globe.

We must work with other countries to find interoperable solutions, because
a fragmented Internet with unpredictable rules will frustrate innovation,
limit the reach of its benefits, and result in unnecessarily bureaucratic
processes and regulations.

*Artificial Intelligence*

Artificial Intelligence is an emerging technology with great potential. We
are engaging with our allies and partners to develop sound policies to
ensure this technology supports our interests and values.

As I am sure most of you are aware, President Trump signed an Executive
Order in February creating the American AI Initiative. The United States
firmly believes that AI can have a positive, meaningful impact on our
world.  We want to reduce barriers to the use of AI technologies to promote
their innovative application.

As the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development’s excellent
Going Digital report highlighted, we need to foster entrepreneurship by
reducing regulatory burdens for start-ups and re-evaluate regulations that
may not fit the digital age.

If we get the policy right, and remain true to our values, we can achieve
an AI future that enriches the lives of our citizens, promotes innovation,
and ensures our national and economic security.

The State Department’s role in implementing this initiative is to foster an
international environment that is open to American AI research and
development and the adoption of AI in society.

A great example of how we do that is facilitating the recent OECD
Recommendation on AI, the first set of inter-governmental principles aimed
at fostering trustworthy AI.  The OECD Recommendation identifies principles
for the responsible stewardship of trustworthy AI.  These are things that I
am sure many of you have thought about:

   - AI should be human-centered and embody fairness.
   - It should be transparent and explainable.
   - It should be robust, safe, and secure.
   - It should be accountable.
   - At the same time, it should contribute to our economic growth and the
   well-being of society.

The OECD Recommendation takes a holistic approach to AI with a strong
emphasis on international, crosscutting collaboration among governments,
the private sector, and civil society.  Above all, it reaffirms a
commitment to strengthen public trust, protect individual liberties, and
remain true to our shared values—respect for democracy, the rule of law,
privacy, and intellectual property.

One example of this is demanding explainability and responsible disclosure,
so that those affected by an AI system can understand the outcome and – if
they have been adversely affected – challenge it. In this way, we can work
to ensure that AI is not used in an inappropriate or discriminatory manner.

We are very pleased that the OECD Recommendation on AI addresses so many of
the issues being tackled by the American AI Initiative.  It has been picked
up in the Leaders Statement at the G-20 as well, so its influence is
growing.

*Cybersecurity, Deterrence, and 5G *

Let me turn now to cybersecurity. Increasingly sophisticated cyber attacks
and cyberspace campaigns — by criminals and states — jeopardize the value
that we derive from the Internet and digital technology.

The theft of confidential business information, intellectual property, and
personal information all can have significant negative repercussions and
undermines our privacy, economic competitiveness, and security.

So what are some of the ways that we in government can protect the security
of our nation, while not limiting innovation, decreasing access to
technologies, reducing competition, or creating trade barriers?

One way to do this is by providing industry with a clear regulatory
environment that is stable, predictable, technology-neutral, and risk-based.

With regard to the development of security standards, technical experts in
the private sector and government are best qualified to recommend what is
the most efficient and effective. In general, standards should be
voluntary, market-driven, and established through multi-stakeholder
processes.

The NIST Cybersecurity Framework is an excellent example of this — a
voluntary, multi-stakeholder process that resulted in a risk-based flexible
framework for managing cyber risk.

As we strive to enhance the security and resiliency of the global cyber
ecosystem, our focus is on deterring malicious activity in cyberspace and
cyber-enabled behavior, securing critical infrastructure, particularly
telecommunications supply chains, and countering disinformation and
propaganda online.

Last September, the White House released a National Cyber Strategy that
provides a framework for how the U.S. government will work to secure and
preserve cyberspace for future generations.

For more than a decade, we have been working to promote responsible state
behavior in cyberspace with tremendous success. We have seen growing
consensus around three key elements of an international cyber stability
framework:

   - *First*, affirmation that existing international law applies to state
   behavior in cyberspace. We already have effective legal constructs in place
   and do not need new legal instruments.

   - *Second*, adherence to certain non-binding norms of responsible state
   behavior in cyberspace during peacetime;
   - *And third*, the development and implementation of practical
   confidence-building measures to reduce the risk of conflict in cyberspace.

These elements have long been used to enhance international stability in
other areas of transnational concern.  Together they build trust, enhance
transparency, and decrease the risk of conflict.  Indeed, all UN Member
States have affirmed such a framework in their adoption of the UN Group of
Governmental Experts’ consensus reports of 2013 and 2015.  We will continue
to work in the new UNGGE on responsible state behavior in cyberspace.

While the United States continues to build international consensus around
this framework, we recognize that some states are not willing to abide by
it.  We believe that if states engage in significant disruptive,
destructive, or otherwise destabilizing malicious cyber activity, they
should face consequences.

That is why the National Cyber Strategy calls on the United States to
“develop swift and transparent consequences” that we will impose “to deter
future bad behavior.”  These should be carried out in concert with
international partners that seek to hold states accountable for significant
acts that are contrary to the framework of responsible state behavior.  To
that end, we are building a coalition of like-minded states called the
Cyber Deterrence Initiative.

We areencouraged to see a growing number of governments beginning to work
together to condemn malicious cyber activity.  From WannaCry to NotPetya to
APT10, more and more countries are attributing cyber attacks or issuing
statements of support to those that do.

The Cyber Deterrence Initiative builds on a foundation of transparency.
Transparency about our cyber activities, about the norms of responsible
state behavior, and about deterrence actions.  Our approach will be
consistent with international law and with non-binding peacetime norms of
state behavior.

Along with deterring, countering, and contesting malicious foreign state
behavior and improving network defenses, we also must focus on the security
of our telecommunications networks and supply chains, especially when it
comes to the Fifth Generation of wireless technology, or 5G.

I do not need to tell this group that 5G will be transformative.  Tens of
billions of new devices and sensors will be connected to the Internet via
5G in the next few years, including critical services like electricity
distribution.  Given 5G’s scope, the stakes for safeguarding these vital
networks could not be higher.

The United States is urging countries to adopt a risk-based security
framework for the construction of all elements of 5G networks, including a
careful evaluation of hardware and software equipment vendors in the supply
chain.

We urge nations to consider whether vendors could be ordered to undermine
network security—to steal personal information, conduct industrial
espionage, disrupt critical services, or conduct cyber-attacks.

It is critical that we not allow 5G communications networks to be a conduit
for the exfiltration of personal data or commercial IP to authoritarian
governments.

We are concerned that China’s National Intelligence Law allows it to compel
5G vendor companies, such as Huawei, to take such actions against our
national interests and values or those of our partners. Therefore, we have
undertaken a worldwide campaign urging countries to improve communications
security standards, as we have in our country.

*Authoritarian models for Internet control*

This brings me to my final point:  We are increasingly concerned that
authoritarian regimes are using the Internet and emerging technologies as
tools for repression.

For a disturbing example of this, look at Xinjiang and how the Chinese
government uses technology to target individuals arbitrarily for pervasive,
high-tech surveillance, to collect personal data involuntarily, and to
suppress freedom of expression, religious freedom, and other human rights.
Alarmingly, China is beginning to export this model to others keen on
exploiting this technology to monitor and control their own populations.

Our democratic values and institutions are also under direct attack through
digitally enabled means.  As we saw in the lead-up to the 2016 election and
similar efforts at foreign malign influence in democracies across the
globe, the legitimacy of our political institutions and cohesion of our
society are in the cross hairs of our adversaries.

We are working within our government and with democratic countries and the
private sector to protect and defend ourselves from these attacks and
influence campaigns in the future.  We are also working with our partners
to prevent states that view the open Internet as a political threat from
transforming it into an authoritarian tool for social and economic The
challenges we face are part of a larger philosophical debate that is
shaping the future of the internet, of emerging technologies, and of global
society.  Our task – as a government and as a society – is to confront
these challenges and thwart malicious actors while upholding our values and
the important benefits that come from an open, interoperable, secure, and
reliable information and communications infrastructure.

The State Department, in coordination with other government agencies, is
building a cyber and digital economy policy that protects the United States
and our allies, ensures that we can all reap the benefits of the open
Internet, and that promotes an environment that enables American and
international innovation.

We will continue to engage multilaterally, at places like the OECD, to
promote international norms and best practices based on our shared values
and democratic principles.

We will use our 100+ cyber and digital economy officers at U.S. embassies
around the world to engage directly with our foreign counterparts and push
back against those who view information as a threat.

We will continue to work with the private sector, civil society, and other
stakeholders to promote Internet freedom, build trust, and enhance
transparency.

Working together, and based on our shared values, we can ensure that our
vision for the Internet prevails.  We can chart an optimistic path where
technology is not a tool of repression, but serves to empower individuals,
and allows our citizens and economies to reach their full potential.

Thank you for the work that you do to assist us in this vital mission.

The post Remarks at the 2019 Internet Governance Forum USA Conference
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTkwNzI2Ljg0OTczOTEmbWVzc2FnZWlkPU1EQi1QUkQtQlVMLTIwMTkwNzI2Ljg0OTczOTEmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xNzM5MDg5MCZlbWFpbGlkPXNhbGFuaWV0YS50YW1hbmlrYWl3YWltYXJvQGdtYWlsLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9c2FsYW5pZXRhLnRhbWFuaWthaXdhaW1hcm9AZ21haWwuY29tJmZsPSZleHRyYT1NdWx0aXZhcmlhdGVJZD0mJiY=&&&101&&&https://www.state.gov/remarks-at-the-2019-internet-governance-forum-usa-conference/>
appeared first on United States Department of State
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTkwNzI2Ljg0OTczOTEmbWVzc2FnZWlkPU1EQi1QUkQtQlVMLTIwMTkwNzI2Ljg0OTczOTEmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xNzM5MDg5MCZlbWFpbGlkPXNhbGFuaWV0YS50YW1hbmlrYWl3YWltYXJvQGdtYWlsLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9c2FsYW5pZXRhLnRhbWFuaWthaXdhaW1hcm9AZ21haWwuY29tJmZsPSZleHRyYT1NdWx0aXZhcmlhdGVJZD0mJiY=&&&102&&&https://www.state.gov>
.
You will need to use your email address to log in. If you have questions or
problems with the subscription service, please visit
subscriberhelp.govdelivery.com
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTkwNzI2Ljg0OTczOTEmbWVzc2FnZWlkPU1EQi1QUkQtQlVMLTIwMTkwNzI2Ljg0OTczOTEmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xNzM5MDg5MCZlbWFpbGlkPXNhbGFuaWV0YS50YW1hbmlrYWl3YWltYXJvQGdtYWlsLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9c2FsYW5pZXRhLnRhbWFuaWthaXdhaW1hcm9AZ21haWwuY29tJmZsPSZleHRyYT1NdWx0aXZhcmlhdGVJZD0mJiY=&&&104&&&https://subscriberhelp.govdelivery.com/>
.

This service is provided to you at no charge by U.S. Department of State
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTkwNzI2Ljg0OTczOTEmbWVzc2FnZWlkPU1EQi1QUkQtQlVMLTIwMTkwNzI2Ljg0OTczOTEmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xNzM5MDg5MCZlbWFpbGlkPXNhbGFuaWV0YS50YW1hbmlrYWl3YWltYXJvQGdtYWlsLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9c2FsYW5pZXRhLnRhbWFuaWthaXdhaW1hcm9AZ21haWwuY29tJmZsPSZleHRyYT1NdWx0aXZhcmlhdGVJZD0mJiY=&&&105&&&http://www.state.gov/>
.
This email was sent to salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com using
GovDelivery Communications Cloud on behalf of: U.S. Department of State · 22
01 C Street NW · Washington, DC 20520 [image: GovDelivery logo]
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTkwNzI2Ljg0OTczOTEmbWVzc2FnZWlkPU1EQi1QUkQtQlVMLTIwMTkwNzI2Ljg0OTczOTEmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xNzM5MDg5MCZlbWFpbGlkPXNhbGFuaWV0YS50YW1hbmlrYWl3YWltYXJvQGdtYWlsLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9c2FsYW5pZXRhLnRhbWFuaWthaXdhaW1hcm9AZ21haWwuY29tJmZsPSZleHRyYT1NdWx0aXZhcmlhdGVJZD0mJiY=&&&106&&&https://subscriberhelp.granicus.com/>