[governance] Fwd: [IGFmaglist] IGF - World Economic Forum (WEF) Collaboration Discussion Document

Tue Feb 12 05:39:53 EST 2019

Digging down the history path is a good thing. It's also true that WEF is
opposite of openness and transparency, but how long should we continue in
SILO. It's a question that needs to be truly answered by everyone of us.
Please don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for WEF, but exploring
collaborative opportunities that can influence stakeholders to do the right
thing in a right way. There might be the motive behind this collaboration,
no doubt, but I believe collaborative efforts can lead to desired outcomes.
Maybe we could suggest the best way to go about it to the MAG.

@Parminder, I just realized that you were the one I met during the
eCommerce Week. We should have gone to the coffee joint :)

Regards.
Peter

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 8:33 PM <LB at lucabelli.net> wrote:

> [...]
> will stay for at least the rest of the current mandate. Should any sort of
> cooperation be "approved", this will also last for - at least - the rest of
> the mandate. Given the current approval rate of WEF, this may not be an
> optimal choice...
>
> IMHO, every IGF participant is totally free to participate and work with
> the WEF but equating this kind of personal engagement to othe fact that "Collaboration
> between the [IGF and WEF] is already underway" is a deliberate fallacy that
> sceptics may think only aims at present the institutional cooperation
> between IGF  and WEF as something already exisitng (which is not the case).
>
> Furthermore, the same sceptics may also think that - as it happened at the
> time of the WEF-NMI fiasco - the proposed "collaboration" is exclusively in
> the interest of the WEF and the person promoting the collaboration on the
> other side.
>
> Although one should aknowledge that at least, now, we are spared the
> "mother of all bottom-up initiatives" rhetoric, it would be interesting to
> know why is the MAG chair proposing this "coperation" with WEF and not with
> other entitie. And on what basis is this kind of special cooperation
> created knowing that the IGF mandate (clearly defined para 72 of the Tunis
> Agenda
> https://www.itu.int/net/wsis/documents/doc_multi.asp?lang=en&id=2267|0 )
> does not mention such possibility? And most importantly, why is the MAG
> (chair) self-attributing this new cooperation creation power rather than
> focusing on a the implementation of what the IGF mandate asks and that
> whoudl propably give more visibility and credibility to the entite IGF
> process i.e. "where appropriate, make recommendations." (see para 72.g of
> the Tunis Agenda)?
>
> If MAG members started to read the IGF mandate or the contributions
> received during the IGF stock-taking consultations (or ideally both), they
> may find an ample range of ideas to strengthen the IGF other than WEF
> vassalage.

> *Luca Belli*, PhD
> Professor of Internet Governance and Regulation, FGV Rio de Janeiro Law
> School
> Chercheur Associé, Centre de Droit Public Comparé, Université Paris 2
> www.internet-governance.fgv.br
> @1lucabelli

> *CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*
> *This message, as well as any attached document, may contain information
> that is confidential and privileged and is intended only for the use of the
> addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
> hereby notified that any disclosure, copying or distribution of this email
> or attached documents, or taking any action in reliance on the contents of
> this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
> Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email by

<https://about.me/petertaiwoakinremi?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=gmail_api&utm_content=thumb>
Peter Taiwo Akinremi