[governance] Proposed statement on .ORG sale

Ayden Férdeline ayden at ferdeline.com
Thu Dec 5 15:00:42 EST 2019

Hi Judith,

Thanks for your question. Here's an example of a human rights concern that I see with the proposed sale of PIR to Ethos Capital:

Firstly, it has been [acknowledged](https://www.keypointsabout.org/) that Fadi Chehade’s company, Chehade & Company, is an adviser to Ethos Capital.

[The Register hasreported](https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/11/26/org_selloff_internet/) that Mr Chehade himself was seen at PIR's office last week during a meet-and-greet with PIR's staff.

Mr Chehade is [co-chair of the advisory committee](https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/18/ex_icann_ceo_will_work_with_china/) to the World Internet Conference in Wuzhen, and has other business dealings in China.

Could .ORG registrants in China be assured, once Ethos Capital takes ownership of PIR, that if the Chinese government requested the contact information of a .ORG registrant, that Mr Chehade would not instruct Ethos Capital to do as the Chinese government wishes?

I think this is an area of divergence where a PIR under ISOC's management may behave differently to a PIR owned by a company whose advisor has strong business interests in China. It's a theoretical example and I want to be careful about 'guilt by association', but I think there is a real risk here that a venture capital company is not going to care so much about the interests of their customers as a non-profit might. (Mind you, ISOC has not demonstrated much concern for them lately either, but that's a different issue...)

Best wishes,

Ayden Férdeline