[governance] PIR and ETHOS Convene Community Webinar on 12/19

Brett Solomon brett at accessnow.org
Thu Dec 19 10:13:30 EST 2019

Here are a few responses to those who responded to my email from Tuesday:

*George — *
We are very much in agreement about the fact that the lack of transparency
from both Ethos Capital and ISOC are cause for concern. I can't agree with
you, though, in saying that a deal to fund ISOC's future work at the
expense of the stability of  the rest of civil society organizations at
.ORG is a "greater good" or a "more important objective." To both your and
Tapani's point, the issue at stake here is so much bigger than the
"emotional benefit" of contributing registration fees to a non-profit. It's
about being able to trust — and hold accountable — the entity that is
responsible for the stewardship of the non commercial element of the
internet.  See also my response to John and Milton below re the capacity or
likelihood of Ethos performing that function.

*John —*
I'm consolidating my response to your separate comments here in this
thread. I can see how you, as a member of the ISOC board, might be
particularly inclined to overlook the potential long-term externalities of
this deal and focus on its short-term benefit for ISOC. There are dozens of
letters, articles and reports setting out those concerns and potential
harms. But in considering whether this transfer serves the interests of the
whole .ORG community, I agree with you that we must "look at motivations
and costs and benefits."

The motivations of a well-established nonprofit organization like ISOC and
those of a newly formed, untested for-profit entity like Ethos are
fundamentally different. And even if we can reasonably accept Ethos'
assurances that it has the public interest at heart, because its profit
model depends on it, there are no guarantees that calculus would not shift
Exactly how much profit would make it worth it for Ethos — or another
private owner down the resale line — to hand over registrants' sensitive
data, impose discriminatory content or pricing policies, censor dissident
voices, etc.? Parminder is right. Especially considering Ethos was formed
as a shell for this sale, its interests in maintaining the integrity of
.ORG in a resale are even more slim, since it would likely dissolve
following a resale and have no concerns about reputational cost. If you
don't think Ethos is going to resell PIR at some point, then I suggest you
take a look at other billion dollar 'commodities' in the marketplace.

And if there really is no motivation to undertake future actions that would
be harmful to .ORG registrants, there should be no issue in agreeing to
binding protections that would prevent such harms from coming about, but we
have yet to see anything of the sort emerge.

*Any talk of Ethos/PIR stewardship councils or advisory bodies are red
herrings and should be rejected outright.* No matter what Ethos tell us
today, such entities are toothless, will have only an advisory capacity and
likely will be ignored (like most powerless advisory councils that disagree
with those who are seeking to be advised).

*Milton —*
First and foremost, thank you for all your work with the NCSG on this
issue. It's a strong letter, and Access Now looks forward to supporting it.
The call for ICANN to impose stronger safeguards for the .ORG TLD
highlighted in the letter is extremely important, and complementary to the
call (supported by 175+ organizations) for ISOC to stop the sale to Ethos.
To be clear, I don't think anyone is calling for the sale to be stopped as
their only objective. I am certainly not. Rather, it is the first, and most
urgent, call among several, targeting one of several actors involved.
ICANN's intervention to improve protections for .ORG is another very
important goal, as is Article 7.5 of the Agreement. Again, ISOC should
reverse the decision and if not ICANN should prevent it from proceeding.

ISOC has done a (largely) great and unrecognized job to date on stewarding
.ORG. While we might agree or disagree that is desirable to relieve ISOC of
what has apparently become a unwanted burden of overseeing PIR, it is
imperative to keep PIR's management in the nonprofit community (and my
strong preference is for it to remain in the hands of .ORG), particularly
under the terms of the current Registry Agreement with ICANN. Ayden is
absolutely right in saying that, with or without those new safeguards, the
sale is dangerous and should not be allowed to continue.

I am concerned where .ORG will be 2020 but I am much more concerned where
it will be 2025. Once .ORG is allowed to transfer to private sector
control, it will inevitably become a commodity that, with time, makes its
way into the hands of those who stand to gain from its control and are
willing the pay the price to have it — that could be the Saudi or Chinese
governments, or Novalpina Capital. Once .ORG is transitioned to the private
sector, we as civil society would almost surely never get it back. The sale
should be stopped and amendments should be made to the Registry Agreement
to upgrade ICANN processes and ORG’s original RFP.

Brett

Brett Solomon
Executive Director
Access Now | accessnow.org

@solomonbrett
Key ID: 0x4EDC17EB
Fingerprint: C02C A886 B0FC 3A25 FF9F ECE8 FCDF BA23 4EDC 17EB

**Subscribe* to the Access Now Express
<https://www.accessnow.org/campaign/#sign-up>, our weekly newsletter on
digital rights
**Protect digital rights* around the world - support Access Now
<https://act.accessnow.org/page/13742/donate/1> with a donation today